Topic

Carbon Board and tube

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Carbon Board and tube

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Locale: store.picharpak.com

I want to create some carbon made gear.

mainly using a 3mm thick 3k carbon board and some square 2x2x1mm carbon tube.

I like to know what kind of glue is the best to glue the tube along to the board? Gluing the tube along to the board is to reinforce the board, i do not want the board too soft.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I don'rt know what you are making, but if you can bend 3 mm CF sheet, my compliments!

Cheers

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Perhaps Jason is going to make a little table?

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Roger:
    I may use thinner sheet but the tube is to reinforce the sheet if i going to use a 2mm. I don't know how stiff the 3mm sheet is as i didnt get that on hand yet.

Travis:
    Yes you are correct, since on market there are no carbon little table! so consider to try to make one out!

I have one is under construction, but that one seem not like a table table so want to make one flat and compact when folded up.

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

You have a lot of choices in the glue. The glue we use for high peel strength and is pretty easy to obtain is:

3m Scotch-Weld Epoxy Adhesive in either DP-100 (3-5 min. worklife and fast cure) or DP-420 (20 min. worklife and 24 hour full cure)

The key is good prep prior to bonding. Scuff the parts with 200 grit sand paper if possible. Then wipe clean with Isopropyl Alcohol and allow to air dry. Make SURE all mold release, grease, grime, dirt has been removed!

Hope that helps.

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Thx Kevin!!

Let me source the epoxy locally before getting the carbon sheet and pole!!
    hope this DIY sucess!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools