Topic

Uncompahgre/La Garita loop trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Uncompahgre/La Garita loop trip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Ettestad
    BPL Member

@ettestad

I'm looking for ideas for a 5-6 day (40-50 mile)loop trip in either the Uncompahgre or La Garita Wilderness areas in SW Colorado for late July/early August. I've done a couple of trips in the Weminuche, but would like to try a different wilderness area. Anyone have experience in these areas and can recommend a beautiful, loop (only one vehicle)trip.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm not aware of any loop hikes in that area. What about the South San Jaun wilderness? I believe there are a few loops there and if not I bet you could go cross country above treeline and make one.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo
    Paul Ettestad
    BPL Member

@ettestad

Thanks. I've done the Weminuche Wilderness trip to Chicago Basin in the past. It's beautiful, but very crowded. There are several possible loop trips in the Uncompahgre Wilderness: Bear Creek-Horsethief (the one you gave a link for), Middle Fork/East Fork of the Cimarron, Big Blue/Ridge Stock Driveway; Fall Creek/Little Cimarron trails. I was hoping that someone had some experience doing these loops and could recommend one over the other.

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

The La Garita's are sort of tough on loops, Uncompahgre probably more so, but I think you could put one together from 40-60 miles or at least a semi-loop. Have you sketched anything out on the maps? I've done some work but am not sure about the trail status of some of the old stock trails on my maps.

Do you have a particular starting/ending point in mind? Eddiesville TH could make a loop going up on the divide then back across the north side on the Cebolla Trail and then back up to San Luis Pass and back to your starting point. The north side of the La Garita's would probably make your longest loop possibilities. There are loops on the eastern side of the range as well.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Ah. Well sorry, can't help then. I was just sharing some of my suggestions when I looked in this area a while back. Whatever you pick make sure you give us a trip report!

Paul Ettestad
    BPL Member

@ettestad

It is hard to do a loop in the La Garita. I've thought about going up the Creede trail (from Creede), intersecting the Colorado Trail/CDT at San Luis Pass, heading west on the CDT to the Skyline trail until it intersects the Cebolla trail, then back east on the Cebolla trail to the Mineral Creek trail, south on the Mineral Creek tail to the East Mineral Creek trail and then back to San Luis Pass and down to Creede. Other potential loops involve going to the Wheeler Geologic area first and then head north into the wilderness.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools