Topic

Carrying Deet with a Bearvault

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Carrying Deet with a Bearvault

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm probably using picardin anyway, but the red label on top of a Bearvault has a warning "No Deet in or on Bearvault." I assume that's b/c it degrades the plastic.

Are animals (those most likely to be attracted to items we carry) attracted to something like Deet?

Just curious . . .

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've seen black bear claw holes in a plastic DEET bottle, so they are curious about it up until the point that they lick it.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

BV's are made of polycarbonate so yes it can be degraded.

I really would not worry about animals getting into DEET. It is nasty stuff!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Not so worried about it, more a hypothetical question. If one has gone through the trouble to bring a food cannister, but doesn't put a bottle of Deet in it, would the bottle of Deet lure an animal to a campsite? Should it be put into some other container like an aloksak?
    Just curious b/c I had not read the BearVault label until recently.

Edit: it IS pretty nasty, isn't it?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lets put it this way…..in the PNW though the bugs can be bad I don't use it. If something eats through fabric and plastic I don't want it on ME ;-)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Deet does not seem to attract bears. And… I certainly don't want it anywhere near my food storage.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools