Topic

Mini-knives: Gurber Curve Mini Tool vs. Leatherman key chair Multi-Tool

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mini-knives: Gurber Curve Mini Tool vs. Leatherman key chair Multi-Tool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Decided to drop a few ounces in the knife dept., so checked these out.
    Both weigh under an ounce, and come for around $15-16.

The Leatherman has-
    -1.5" non-locking blade
    -scissors
    -abrasive strip with small tip
    that may work in many phillips
    heads.
    -small pull-out tweezers

The Gerber has-(all tools lock open)
    -1.25" but wider locking blade
    -slot-head screwdriver-.25" wide
    blade tip
    -2-sided file with phillips driver
    -bevelled point, .1875" wide at tip.
    -bottle opener/biner combination

Had decided on the Leatherman, about .1 oz lighter, until the scissors would not cut moleskin – too much play in the rivet at the axis.
    Thought this info might be of interest.
    Sam

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

The scissors on the Victorinox Classic cut moleskin very well, have small enough tips to fix hangnails, and will trim toenails (you may have to soak your big toes in water to soften the nails).

ps: The gerber tool didn't seem to hold up very long for my kids (10 & 12). The leatherman turned out to be very durable though. The small multitools are very useful for small tasks and repairs around the house, but the SAK classic seems to work a lot better for 1st aid, nail care, & sowing tasks when backpacking. (The SAK scissors are too small for heavy duty tasks though – like trimming logos off box-tops needed for school fund raisers).

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

The big thing I needed was a potholder as shown here:

http://wn7ant.com/2013/04/20/gerber-curve-pot-holder/

That and the ability to dismantle a Cold Steel Shovel, improvise a handle, and still have a blade for cutting. I'm looking to see if I can rework the flat head screwdriver blade so that I have a can opener on it.

steven franchuk

@surf

You might want to return the Leatherman. I have had minefor about a year and there is no play in the rivet. Still cuts moleskin just fine.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I do like having scissors. I assume you the Leatherman is a Style model. You might also consider the Style CS or the Micra models if you want a more scissors oriented tool. It is hard to beat a Victorinox Classic for utility/weight and I carry one every day.

These small tools are very useful, but I carry them as a supplement to a 3"-3.5" folding lock blade knife, which I also carry daily.

David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

If you're concerned about being able to cut moleskin, why don't you, before a backpacking trip, cut a variety of sizes and shapes of moleskin? I do that, and I'm always able to find a piece that I need while in the backcountry.

Don Abernathey

@oldguysrule

Locale: PNW

I would skip both of those and go to the Leatherman Squirt PS4. Low-end Gerber multitools have been very disappointing for me – terrible quality.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools