Topic

Absolute Lightest 1L Water Bottle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Absolute Lightest 1L Water Bottle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I'm curious if any other gram weenies out there have found a lighter water bottle. My Deer Park 1L bottle with the label and safety ring under the cap removed weighs in at 20-21 grams which handily beats my 1L platy bag.

EDIT: Removing the useless flange just under the cap further reduces the weight of the bottle by 0.6 grams. I had no problem grinding it off with the sanding drum for my Dremel tool. This gets the weight down to 20.5 grams as measured on a decigram scale.

Photobucket

Dave T

@davet

I can't see the need to get much lighter than a wide-mouthed 1L Aqua Fina (or Mtn. Dew) bottle.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

YMMV, I used to use cheap and light, semi-rigid supermarket water bottles. Twice, these things would suddenly jump out and escape into the deep ravines below!

For me, I prefer Platy's. They don't try to escape.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I just cup my hands and keep my water there, saving the 21 grams of the water bottle. Of course, steep climbs and descents are a bit tricky……

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The lightest water containment device would probably be a homemade cuben one. You could tear/cut the nozzle/opening out of a Platypus and bond that into a homemade bonded cuben sack. You could probably do a 1L cuben platypus for around 10g.

The downside is that you'd need to be very careful with not puncturing it.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I don't know if Cuben would appropriate be for potable use. I think it's high time someone figured out a way to make a Ti foil platy-style bottle that can be used for boiling water in an open fire. It should be ~15g. I may try to make one using food grade silicone adhesive sealant, but welding would be lighter, more durable, and allow for the cooking in a fire. The silicone would definitely suffice for boiling in, but not direct flame.

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

I saw something almost identical to what you describe on another board awhile back…I think there was a youtube vid accompanying it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Good tip on the UL recycled bottle.

How about the lightest wide mouth bottle for a Steripen? So far, the Nalgene soft canteen does the trick at 2.3oz each. I haven't weighed a Gatorade bottle yet.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Gatoraide bottles are 1.8oz each.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Aaron
    Maybe the one you had in mind was the steel pot seen here :
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=32398
    not that I think it is practical nor that it will last but there it is…
    Franco

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I can't see the need to get much lighter than a wide-mouthed 1L Aqua Fina (or Mtn. Dew) bottle.

Man not me, I'll spend 10 minutes shaving a gram off of anything. Eh, to each his own.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I use a 1L Dr. Pepper wide mouth. It comes in at 1.5 oz. I always wonder how durable the lighter aqua fina bottles are.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Dale, I did beta testing for Steripen's new Opti last year on the JMT. I got approved to use the Ziploc 1 qt twist-n-loc container, weighs 1.8 oz. Worked just great.

Makes a good shake container too as one can easily get their 10" square chaomois inside it to clean it afterwards.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/TwistLocContainers.aspx?SizeName=Medium

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

it seems like for the steripen users, having a regular bottle with the top cut off would be the lightest option for treating the water. Then just pour into whatever you drink from. With the top rim and cap, most of those bottles are less than an ounce…and the top/cap are the heaviest parts. Seems like you could manage a receptacle to treat in for around a half ounce or so. Only drawback would be the room it takes up.

Food for thought at least?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

This is exactly what I do. Took a 2L platy, cut it off a bit above the 1L line, and use that as my treatment container. Weighs nothing, takes up very little space.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

"This is exactly what I do. Took a 2L platy, cut it off a bit above the 1L line, and use that as my treatment container. Weighs nothing, takes up very little space."

+1
    2L platy cut over the 1L line, and a small square of bandana to prefilter water into my bottle of choice. Bandana goes inside platy bottom and flatened platy bottom is wrapped around the steripen and held in place with a rubber band. Provides a small amount of protection to the steripen with minimal added bulk.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Locale: deep south

This last hike I used a 1 quart gatorade bottle and a 1 quart wide mouth collasible nalgene. Very light weight. I treated the water in the nalgene and the transferred it to the gatorade bottle. Then if I needed to carry extra water I treated the full nalgene. Worked well.Doesn't make sense to me to cut a bottle just for purifying. Kind of seems like wasted weight when one can use the light collaspible bottle.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Instead of cuben, try a mylar potato chip bag with the platypus nozzle glued in. That would be a neat project.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I used to use a widemouth nalgene as my sterilizing container, but it never really worked well for me — sometimes hard to fill in shallow streams, my fat fingers never fit comfortably with the steripen into the opening, could never really get a good stir.

with the open top half platy, stirring is easy and I can fill it in the shallowest of streams. The negligible extra weight is far outweighed by the convenience and ease of use for me!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Instead of cuben, try a mylar potato chip bag with the platypus nozzle glued in. That would be a neat project."
    Nice idea. I feel bad butchering a perfectly good platypus, but I'm going to give it a shot in the next week or so.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was cooking and pulled the mayonnaise out of the frig and the light bulb went on– the mayo was in a 32oz PET container with a BIG lid. After cleaning it out and removing the label, I have a 32oz/948ml water bottle that weighs 1.6oz/45g. My Steripen can do a dance in an opening that big :)

The particular brand is Smart Balance.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

What about the mylar insert in wine boxes?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I was cooking and pulled the mayonnaise out of the frig and the light bulb went on– the mayo was in a 32oz PET container with a BIG lid."

Great minds run in the same channel, Dale. I'm fooling around with a 16 oz version this year, weighs 1.2 oz. I can't remember the brand offhand, but there are several of them in the mayonnaise section at my market. Basically, you could make your selection based on the color of the lid or whether there's a hot chick in a bikini on the label.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools