Topic

Monatauk Gnat Stove Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Monatauk Gnat Stove Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Monatauk Gnat Stove Review

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Ok, it looked nice, how did it work?

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

it's pretty safe to say that there is precious little difference in these stoves

Enno Kunze

@heidelberger

Locale: Germany

I have the Gnat for some months and on my website you can see a short video of it… (It's in German, but I think that's okay for video)

http://qbloggt.blogspot.com/2010/03/monatauk-gnat-das-video.html

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

numbers …

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Actual usage figures for the Monatauk Gnat and its twin brother the Go System Fly can be found at

Gnat

Gosystem Fly

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

How does it simmer?

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

I normally use alcohol stoves, but I do have a 10 year old Gigapower in my closet which I use occasionally. My major complaint with the original Gigapower is the slippery pot supports. One time my tall pot slid off the Gigapower supports and scalded my hand with boiling water. Not fun in the backcountry.

Recently I have been considering getting another canister stove, but ingrained in my memory is the sight of my beet red scalded hand, so pot supports are a major concern of mine. The Monatauk Gnat appears to have good pot supports, but judging from pictures on the company websites, I prefer the pot supports of the Gigapower LiteMax, at least for a tall tippy pot.

According to the Monatauk website, the Gnat costs $60.00 American

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

Price?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The unit Ryan got was from Monatauk, but my information is that it was actually designed and made by Fire Maple in China (where else). It is available from several sources around the world under various numbers or names, but sometimes with '116T' in the part number.

Specifications:
    Dimensions: 55 x 75 x 32 mm
    Weight: 48 g
    Rated Power: 12,000 BTU / 3,500 W
    The measured CO emission is around 10 to 20 ppm, which is pretty good.

I can verify that it does punch out a lot of power, consistent with the claimed figure, and considerably more than any white gas stove (so there!). I can also confirm that it does simmer very nicely, and that the valve action is smooth.

Pricing varies depending on the supplier. Someone else mentioned $60 from Monatauk, but I have not verified that myself. It is available for ~$35 +P/P from Shanghai, at
    http://www.de-maritime.com/titanium-camping-stove

Disclosure: I received a review sample from DE-Maritime as well, but Ryan beat me to the punch in submitting the Spotlite.

Cheers

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

I like this review – it is concise.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The pot stand legs of the Gnat are similar to my Brunton FLEX stove in design. I fixed the wobbliness of the legs by drilling out the rivits and replacing them with tiny nuts, lock washers and bolts. The lock washers held the pot supports snug enough to prevent wobble but not to tight to make folding difficult.

As is often the case many backpacking products can be improved upon with a little thought.

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

"""I like this review – it is concise"""

Agree with Ron

May be too much concise……….:-/

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

+1 on the concise review.

Could just use a set of those plastic jetboil legs with it… they clip really nicely onto the bottom of a small canister and are pretty solid. Just a thought!

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Roger, thanks for the verification and extra info. How is it in terms of CO emissions?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi EJ

> How is it in terms of CO emissions?
    Fourth line in the specs I posted! 10 – 20 ppm. That's fairly low.

Cheers

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

The review was concise because there just isn't a lot to say about a product that seems to work as well as anything else.

The real appeal of this stove to me was its aesthetics, which are superb. In terms of "lightweight philosophy in design" this stove hits the nail on the head.

"It works well enough" – and I do mean that.

The differences in field performance between all these little canister stoves is so infinitesimally small that it's almost ludicrous trying to figure out how they compare to each other based on performance – boil times, fuel efficiency, etc.

It keeps both big and little pots stable, it hasn't failed yet, and it makes hot water. "I guess it works, eh?" I know, I'm being a little tongue in cheek here, but seriously, there just isn't a lot of room left in this product market and I just wanted to point out something aesthetically unique in a pretty crowded field.

What's remarkable to me is this:

Bushbuddy Ultra – 5 oz
    Gnat Stove – 1.7 oz
    Cat Food Can Stove – 0.5 oz
    Esbit Ti Stove – 0.3 oz

i.e., today, I can cook on wood, gas, alcohol, and solid fuel on the same trip (if I wanted to, but I wouldn't, except when on a teaching trip) for 7.5 oz! How cool is that?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Good review. I would always wish for complete specs to include stove measurements folded and in use, stove weight, case weight, case size and maybe even burner diameter. We are still missing the case weight. A few more specs are

stove weight: 1.6 oz (48 grams)
    stove size (folded): 2.25" x 2.25" x 2.5"
    stove size (in use): ?
    case weight: 1.4 oz (hard side)
    case size: 3" x 3" x 3.25"

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

John,

Toss the case. Thus, case weight = 0.

Seriously, though, I can't see any compelling reason to bring a "stove case" on a trek.

I know it's there to protect the stove, but wrapping in a viscose towel does it for a lot less weight and rattling.

Ryan

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The stove case is dual purpose.

It protects the stove from breakage, and it protects the other gear in your pack from the sharp points on the stove.

If I wrapped a viscose towel around my stove, it would be full of holes in a week's time. But then, I suppose that is why I carry duct tape.

–B.G.–

David Buto

@booterman

How does the Gnat stove performance compare to the Soto OD-1R Micro Regulator Stove in terms of maintaining consistent output in cold weather? Although many stoves may seem alike, the Soto appears to have an edge in performance as temp drops and as fuel runs out, i.e., the Soto output is the same across the spectrum.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

"the expedition-conscious ultralighter can turn down the fuel power and eke out thirty-six to forty boils (at 12 oz/boil) without much difficulty" What sort of altitude are we talking about here? I imagine there's quite a large variation in how long a canister lasts between say 10000 feet and sea level.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I imagine there's quite a large variation in how long a canister lasts
    > between say 10000 feet and sea level.
    No, altitude will have very little direct effect on the life of a canister. The canister supplies energy, and how much energy is in the canister is unrelated to altitude.

However, because the ambient temperature drops as you go up in altitude, you will find yourself using a little more fuel to get water up to 80 C. On the other hand, water boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes, so you will need a little less fuel to go from 80 C to boiling. Ho hum … :-)

Anyhow, most of that is irrelevant. What really influences practical fuel consumption is wind, use-of-windscreen, heating rate, lid-on-pot, and other things like that. They are far more significant, to the point of being totally dominant.

Cheers

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

The Snow Peak Giga weighs 3 oz., but that includes the "ignitor". You have to weigh in whatever it is you use to light the Gnat stove.

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

not really, ignitors fail so frecuently that you MUST to carry one lighter anyway

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools