Topic

Hot Summer Sleep System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hot Summer Sleep System

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

I just saw a post on HammockForum that someone is considering buying a case of Army surplus poncho liners….head over there and maybe you can get in on it too.

Nobody You Know

@dirtbagliving

Locale: Colorado

I wish I had a scale. I'd weight mine for you. According to Ranger Joe's, it says they weight 18 oz.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Could something like this go down to 60 degrees?

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/IN4015

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

I used an Army Poncho in Vietnam back in 1967 – 1968 and 1970 -1971. I bought 4 in 1968 and still own three of them. I even had a full zipper sewn on one to make sort of a sleeping bag out of it.

I just put one of them on my scale (without the zipper) and it weighs 19.675 ounces.

They were great back then but you can get a lot more warmth for that weight in today gear world.

A light weight quilt / blanket would be an easy MYOG Project.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I am just going to try to find something that works to 55 degrees and is as light as possible. Here is what I have found, or suggestions made in prior posts. Any other suggestions welcome, although I am trying to get out of this without spending more than around 100-150 dollars (hence leaving off some of the more expensive 1 lb bags):

Silk liner ~ 8oz – Doubt this will go past 60-65 without some clothing support, which you probably wouldnt have on a summer outing. However, it being so light, you could probably bring a jacket and do OK with weight/comfort ratio.

Poncho Liner ~ 18oz – I suspect this would go down to 60.

Lafuma Warm n Light 600 – 23 oz – 45 Degree bag, based on older threads the rating is pretty accurate

Marmot Pounder – 18 oz – EN rating of 54 which seems to be what others have been comfortable to in this bag

Lafuma x600 – 20 oz – Comfortble to roughly 50 degrees

Some other form of liner example: Integral Designs
    Brushed Nylon Liner – although I have NO IDEA what comfort level this would provide.

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

Speaking of which I have a set (right and left zip) lafuma warm n' light 600s for sale in the gear swap I will let go for cheap. :)

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I am not ruling them out just yet, but if I can find a lighter option I am going to go with it.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

What about a bivy combined with one of the lighter options. You could then use it in colder temperatures combined with another bag. Sort of like layering your sleep system. I do that with bivy, sleeping bag liner and an UL-20 and have done temperature below zero.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I actually may do something like this that was mentioned earlier. I just wonder what kind of warmth it provides. Anyone make an educated guess?

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/124

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

I sleep in my hiking pants, shirt, and carry my wind jacket just in case. The bug net keeps some wind off.

Jack

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

For summer trips in the Grand Canyon I would bring a tarp, pad, and a synthetic sleeping bag liner, adding a wool hat and light puffy if it got chilly. This worked well for lows in the 60s.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Which liner do you use?

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

A fleece sleeping bag liner like this one from REI would probably work. Their MTS fabric liner(think Capiline 2)might work as well for less weight and less money.

For even less money, you could pick up a fleece blanket at Target or Walmart and use it as-is or making more bag-like with a little sewing.

Or if you can sew, buy 2 yards of Microfleece from Quest Outfitters for $20 + shipping and make your own.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

This might be the ticket for my wife and I when lows are about 68ish. When she is not there I can use it as a large blanket.

Only 9oz.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40727

Lee Fitler

@tdilf

I just got a Lafuma x600 for Fathers Day. It was also purchase on sale from REI outlet for like $35. Haven't used it yet but it will work better then the fitted sheet I tried using a couple weeks ago (brrr).

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools