Topic

Bear Paw Tarp Tent in the Weminuche

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Bear Paw Tarp Tent in the Weminuche

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dale Murphy

@getlightmurphy

Locale: North Central Texas

I am fixing to spend seven days in the Weminuche. Four nights will be above timeberline. I really don't want to lug 4 lbs of tent. I don't even want to carry my Cabela's XPG Bivy at 1.5 lbs. I have a Bear Paw Canopy Tent 2 that was purchased with this trip in mind.
    Tent in 25mph wind

With stakes and polycryo ground cloth total packed wieght is at 27 ounces! Am I going to regret this choice in gear? Will I have problems securing this tarp tent in the winds above timberline? Are stakes out of the question above timberline?

Douglas Ray

@dirtbagclimber

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I can't personally speak about Bear Paw Tents, but I've been tarp camping in the alpine for the past ten years in the Cascade and Olympic Mountains of Washington without un-due problem.

It looks like your tarp shelter doesn't have a catenary ride line, so it may be a bit flappy if it's windy. Try and pick campsites with good staking if you can, if not go around and collect a lot of rocks and pile them on your stakes using the stakes as a deadman. I'd take one stake for every loop on the shelter and some extra line if you are still getting to know the shelter, and tighten

Douglas Ray

@dirtbagclimber

Locale: Pacific Northwest

And wasn't finished with the above post. Basically, go look up the archived article on tarp camping that Ryan Jordan wrote years ago, take lots of stakes and cord, and go do it.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I thought I recognized your name, Doug. I can attest to you camping in the high country in the Olympics because I met you on the trail in ONP in 2007 when I was thru-hiking the PNT.

My trail journal entry for that day:Pacific Northwest Trail Journal

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Hey Dale,

I suspect you'll do fine with that shelter. It is similar to other popular shelter designs out there, Go-Lite Hut, Shangi-La, Gossamer Spinnshelter,… comes to mind.

The big difference being that it uses a flat tarp design as opposed to a catenary. There are advantages to both designs.

You may have to be more careful about using all your tie-outs and make sure they are solid if strong winds are in the forecast.

Let us know how it goes?

BearPaw has some good prices for ultralight shelters

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools