Topic

Father’s Day with the kids…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Father’s Day with the kids…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Took out the kids for a 24 in the local mountains on Saturday night. UL is sweet in that it really helps us get out. Too often I see parents with overloaded kids struggling through the woods…a great way to kill the fun.

A great quick trip with my favorite partners…

On the way in…

Breakfast…

Heading home

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Craig,

That looks great. Care to talk us through what gear the kids are using, and what clothing they carry.

In fact this probably deserves a thread of it's own.

Rod

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

This sort of trip is so easy I don't have to worry about too much gear for us. The weather is also so predictable in summer here that raingear, etc. is unneeded.

Here's our general gear list:
    My daughter carried:
    -Homemade pack (~6oz.)
    -My WM Summerlite
    -stuffed animals
    -a BPL inflatable pillow
    -spare shoes (slippers)
    -her sleep/dry clothes…there are plenty of river crossings (spare underwear, a LS top, flannel pants, socks, beanie)
    -Gatorade (she insisted)
    -Tikka headlamp
    *I'd put her pack weight at ~5 lbs.

My Son:
    -Homemade pack (~6 oz.)
    -adult sized homemade quilt (~20 oz)
    -GG Nitelite pad
    -spare shoes (crocs)
    -sleep/dry clothes (same as daughter)
    -BPL pillow
    -a book
    -Zipka headlamp
    -his Mora knife
    -Gatorade
    I'd say he was also at ~5-6 lbs.

They both carry their gear comfortably.

Outside of my personal gear, the shared stuff is:
    -Golite Shangri La 3 with inner nest (I never carry the nest on my own but the kids like it)
    -Snowpeak Gigapower Ti (When feeding hungry kids, speed is of the essence)
    -2 cookpots: Snowpeak 1400 Ti with frypan lid (which one kid uses as a bowl/cup), Evernew 900 Ti pot w/ foil lid, 1 Ti cup, 3 BPL Ti sporks. They all nest nicely when the handles are taken off the Evernew.
    -I carried my daughter's sleeping pad (Ridgerest 3/4)
    -I carry their jackets (generic nylon shell with fleece lining)
    -I also carry a MSR Miniworks when with the kids on short trips…easier to have them pump than have them wait for Aqua Mira.

I think that's all that's noteworthy…

Colin Matthews
    BPL Member

@litebrite

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Great report Craig, and nice to see that you're passing your experience along to the next generation of UL Hikers!

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Have you written them up in the MYOG Craig? I'd be interested in taking a look.

Looks like I need to MYOG a couple of quilts too.

Rod

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Here's the link to the first one I made. I was wrong in my post above- it's 9 oz. (the one my daughter is carrying).
    It was originally for my son; he's getting bigger so it went to my daughter. He now uses a more minimal version of the one I first made him (no side pockets, no hipbelt, no compression straps). It's 6 oz.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18307

I've been using adult bags and quilts for them. A good adult bag/quilt is light enough as it is- no need to purchase bags for the kids. I just fold the footbox under them.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

thanks for sharing.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Craig,
    I enjoyed the trip report, but particularly interested the MYOG backpack that was described the link. I agree that REI only has ridiculously weavy and expensive packs for kids. I had talked with Gossamer gear and MLD, both of whom are looking at a kid's version.

My 7 yr old has been bothering me for a pack, so I might have to think about doing some sewing.

Tom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools