Topic

MJ’s Farm Do it yourself bulk…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition MJ’s Farm Do it yourself bulk…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Has anyone tried this out before? I’ve tried their individual meals and they seem pretty good, but I’m looking for other opinions. Any meals that don’t taste good?

Mary Jane’s Farm

Thanks,

Roy

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

Hi,

I like their food and have bought quite a bit in bulk.

Keep in mind that it adds up to a lot of food, so unless you really like something and aren’t likely to get sick of it and are out a lot of days you are going to have a lot of leftover tabouli.

I’d say that the instant potatos and beans, while good, have much cheaper competition that is nearly as good. The soups and pasta dishes (the chili mac and corn chowder both are awesome) are much better deals.

All of her food is a little bland, and for me a fair amount of spices are required to keep my morale up.

russell dean

@rjdean

I tried and liked both the veggie pasta and the chilimac. I would order both in bulk.
    Didn’t care for the instant potatoes and the oatmeal was so/so.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Thanks for the resopnses!

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

I’ve tryed many of her dishes and use them often. I like Red Pesto Pasta, Alfredo Pasta, Santa Fe Pasta, Black Bean Corn Chowder, Lentil Pilav, Lentil Bisque.

I add brewers yeast to some cayenne pepper to others.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I do like a fair amount of MJ’s foods, however I wouldn’t recommend buying bulk on anything you haven’t tried. There are a few things I’ve purchased (1 serving thankfully) that I found simply unpalatable.

Most of the pastas are fail safe, I really dig the breakfast frittatas but their mashed potatoes were very, very disappointing for me. Their stuff runs a tid bit on the bland side for those watching their sodium so pack some spices depending on your preference.

Either way, I definately suggest giving them a shot.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

If you find one you like, go for it, but as others have said, it’s a lot of food you’d need to consume prior to expiration dates. I like the Organic Buttery Herb Pasta, Alfredo and the Potatoes.

MikeB

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I’ve only had the black bean hummus and the breakfast frittattas. Both were excellent products in my opinion.

Bryan Hoofnagle

@bhoofnagle

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Roy-
    I was delighted to find MJ's in searching for healthy, easy options for my thru-hike on the AT. I bought the black bean and refried beans for staples. I mixed them with cous cous and rice to stretch them out and supply more calories. The result was bland slop every night. By adding grains to the beans I may have diluted flavor, but no matter what I'd still recommend bringing some salt and pepper if you choose to take them into the backcountry. The Santa fe pasta, Chilimac, and couch potatoes were all about the same:lacking flavor when anything tastes good after long miles.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools