Topic

Lamarck Col in running shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lamarck Col in running shoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tony Siciliano

@tsinsf

I hiked the North Lake-South Lake loop via Lamarck Col 25 years ago when I still wore heavy boots. I'm planning on going again this year the last week in August. I recall there is an almost permanent snow field just below the col when coming from North Lake and am wondering if it is navigatable in running shoes carrying a 35 pound pack. I've done many 50-60 mile hikes this way. What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Did Lamarck Col last July with trail runners….easily done..Beautiful area!! Have fun!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some gaiters would be handy for keeping excess snow off your feet.

The main part of the snow is not the risky part. The risky part is near the hidden boulders where hidden voids are, especially right near the top on either side.

It's even worse if you try to cross through Echo Col.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Bob is right…falling through the snow can be an adventure. I postholed a few times on the west side of the pass a few times coming down. Luckily the Darwin Basin was snow free. I hope to do this trip again sometime

Edited…on the East side I post holed where the snow field is

Anonymous
    Inactive

"What are your thoughts?"

Shouldn't be a problem if the snow is not too compacted. Running shoes don't edge very well and that snow field can get compacted and even icy by late August. There may be foot holes worn into it by previous hikers but, if they are melted out or too shallow for comfort, you can skirt it on the left side up through boulders and some sloppy, muddy crud. It's Class 2.
    Going down the other side you should be fine.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

I used trekking poles and had no problem in late July and went slowly.

Kahtoolas or instep crampons would have made it a cakewalk.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Yeah Tom is correct. Kick stepping with trail runners does suck. Trekking poles definately help on snowing slopes. Just go slow and pick your way along. There should be enough of a "trail" to lead you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools