Topic

Jacks River Falls

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Jacks River Falls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Pictures from a dayhike a friend (wearing the Jam) and I did to visit Jacks River Falls in the Cohutta Wilderness. Trip was via Beech Bottom trail. Shot with a Canon SD880is.

Last 3 in the series are videos taken including someone jumping at the falls.

Pictures via Picasa

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

The Jacks River trail is one of my favorite. The last time I did it something got all of our food (I'm sure poor hanging on my part) so we had a hungry hike out the next morning but it was still a lot of fun.

Did you make the jump at the falls? The top jump doesn't look to high when you are looking at it but I remember it feeling really high once you are up there.

Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Don't mean to thread jack but Trevor were did you camp? I'm trying to plan a trip and am a bit confused about the best camping in the area.

Paul

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

I can't remember the specific spot the first time I did the trail – there was a good campsite along the river maybe about 3/4 of the way to the falls along the Jack's River Trail.

The second time (when I lost my food), there is a good campsite a few minutes walk from the falls on the other side of the river from the trail. Were were able to hop across on rocks to the other side and it was a nice campsite right along the river with room for several tents.

If I remember correctly, there aren't any camping restrictions along the trail and there are several good areas to camp. Sorry I can't be more specific on the campsite locations.

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Yea, I've seen a few bears along the the Jacks in the past. I decided against jumping as I figured hobbling out with a broken leg would be rather unpleasant.

As far as camping along the trail, the only FS restrictions are in the zone immediately surrounding the falls. Either way you come in (either direction on JRT or Beech Bottom) you'll see signs letting you know you've entered that zone. Approved sites are marked by the poles. Just camp a bit before or after the falls and you'll be fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools