Topic

VERY remote backpacking trip.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion VERY remote backpacking trip.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nobody You Know

@dirtbagliving

Locale: Colorado

I need ideas. They can be anywhere. I just want to get lost for a couple weeks.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No experience, but I bet you can get yourself "lost" pretty quickly offtrail in Alaska.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Sorry, evidently had a URL from a previous post in the "copy" bucket–now edited for correct subject title!

If you have good off-trail skills (especially navigation skills), Wyoming's Wind Rivers is a grand place to get away from the beaten path. I'm planning two back-to-back trips, partially off-trail, this summer. A number of off-trail routes there require mountaineering skills and glacier travel skills, and you definitely wouldn't want to do those kind of trips alone. But there are many others that just require good route-finding and elementary scrambling skills. A wonderful book that will give you lots of ideas has recently been published: Nancy Pallister's "Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming." You can find a preview and purchase the book on this website: http://www.mcreynoldscpa.com/BeyondTrails

I recommend getting the accompanying CD, which has better maps than are in the book and many beautiful photos which will have you drooling! Do read the route descriptions carefully and honestly assess your skills before trying any of the routes listed.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Google "national recreation areas" around where you live. These type of areas are usually the most remote, comprising the most wilderness.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Not quite as remote as Alaska but there are stretches of the High Route that you won't see people for days. Google Sierra High Route and you can read part of Roper's book describing the route online.

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Hike the Thorofare Trial beginning in YNP, out of the Park in the SE Corner, over Two Oceans Pass and into Teton National Park. It's about 100 miles of amazing solitude. I hiked it five years ago and it was a great trip. Bring bug spray if you're going before August 15.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools