Topic

Rain mitts for backpacking *and* cycling

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain mitts for backpacking *and* cycling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

I'd like to get a pair of lightweight rain mitts for backpacking.

Here's the thing: I'd love it if they worked for cycling, too. I ride often enough in rain with mild temps, and don't need an insulated glove. So one of the backpacking mitts (such as MLD) might work for me. *However*, I'm worried that the lightweight backpacking mitts such as MLD might be too fragile for cycling? Or too slippery (no grip)?

Also, I can't seem to find the REI taped mitts that have been recommended here. Discontinued?

– Elizabeth

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have used the MLD mitts cycling for a couple of winters. Once sealed they worked fine. I didn't have a "grip" problem… but I am road biking. If I was doing a lot of serious mountain biking I would want something more durable and with a better grip.

I don't know if the REI taped mitts have been discontinued… REI drops problems from their catalog which aren't in stock. That doesn't mean that they won't be back later summer.

–Mark

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I know some pretty serious mountain bikers that use MLD mitts for rain wear on the bike.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools