Topic

Eddie Bauer 1st Ascent Jackets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Eddie Bauer 1st Ascent Jackets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

I just ordered and received the Downlight Sweater in an XL Tall, but it's a little big on me. They are out of L Tall so I thought I'd see if anyone bought and L Tall that they would either want to trade from an XL Tall or sell. Great jacket. Bought the vest also, L tall is perfect on me. First time I've had a vest that comes down to my hips.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I went into the EB in Tysons Corner last night to order an XXL Tall. They dropped the price again to $49.99. The woman on the phone matched the price AND gave me an additional 20% off as part of some promotion they were running that day if you ordered via phone through a store.

All in all, an 800-fill down sweater that was normally $169 for $39.99 and shipped free to my house. Even if it leaks a little bit of down you can't go wrong at that price.

Hammock Hanger
    BPL Member

@travelpro

Just got my XL Tall jacket and L Tall vest. I'd say these run at least one size Large. The EB sizing chart says they run 'snug'; but I'd say just the opposite.

For anyone looking to order in future, I'm 6' and 185 and the XL Tall jacket swallows me up like Jonah and the whale. I have 35/36 sleeves and the XL Tall jacket sleeves can come down to my fingertips if I loosen the elastic wristband to let 'em fall. The bottom hem comes way below my jeans back pocket bottom seam. And it's cut really roomy in the waist/torso; I could fit a big fleece jacket, a hydration pack, a couple of fanny packs and about thirty-forty more pounds under the XL jacket easily…no exaggeration.
    I'm going to try and swap the XL Tall jacket for a L Regular and the L Tall vest for a L Regular.
    Workmanship on these is great and they're superlight. Good product, worth buying. But sized really Large when most down manufacturers seem (to me) to size small, especially on length. I'd say no need to 'size up' with Bauer's First Ascent stuff like some of the other makers, and for me at 6' and 35 sleeves, 'Tall' was overkill.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

I just received my jacket in Medium-Tall after returning a size Large-Tall. The Large-Tall was huge, draping much like you described the XL-Tall. The Medium-Tall however fits almost perfectly. There's a big difference in size between the two. I'm 6ft even, 175-180lbs, and 42in chest. The only problem is when I cross my arms, the armpit seams are snug against my lat muscles (and I'm thin up top!). The point of my post is that the EB sizes seem to vary greatly from industry comps. I really like the jacket though! Can't wait for cooler weather.

Will Webster

@willweb

My experience is a bit different. I'm 5'-10", 38 chest, 33 waist, 155-160 lb. My Downlight vest in medium fits very well except that it's a bit snug in the upper chest. It's OK over a T-shirt and a flannel shirt, but I wouldn't want to wear much more under it. Length is great – same as a parka.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm 6'3" 210lbs. Found the xl tall too tight in the chest. Got an xxl, much better but not perfect, the arms seem huge. But for the money…

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Mine was snug in the chest as well. The XXL regular fit really well except for the snugness in the chest which is why I am trying out the XXL Tall. Hopefully it will provide just a little more breathing room (literally) in the chest. Otherwise the XXL is tolerable for what it will be used for, primarily around camp and for sleeping.

Hammock Hanger
    BPL Member

@travelpro

Called Bauer's 800# today about exchanging down to smaller sizes. Helpful rep confirmed website is correct & most sizes except XXL are sold out.

BUT, she told me the website & her inventory screens only reflect Bauer's central warehouse, not inventory in local stores, which she can't see. So, call around your local stores & see what they have. After Marc's tip I called around & found a smaller vest for even exchange. (Going from Tall down to Regular makes a big diff).

Store manager says the closeout sale is because the First Ascent line is being slightly redesigned for the Fall. Also says Labor Day will mean bigger sales than usual because it's been a rough recession summer season.

Jimmie Rich

@syrmyth

I've got one for sale that is new with tags. It's a mens size small and blue in color.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Jimmie, I might be interested in that. You don't have PM setup though.

email me javan.dempsey at gmail.com

Ryan Longmire
    BPL Member

@longmire

Locale: Tejas

Definitely check your local stores for sweaters and vests. Buddy just picked one up and reported that they had all sizes (maybe not in all colors) and lots of them.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Where at specifically? I know mine in Tysons Corner, VA had XL and XXL remaining, but they said they could do store-to-store swaps if needed.

I spoke with the store manager briefly when I was there and he said he was so sick of having them in his store and having to look at them. He said they didn't sell that well because no one trusted them (I think this has to do with the feelings of others as stated on this board that EB "sold out" to become more mainstream) and also because of the high price tag. He was glad to see them go although already not looking forward to receiving the 2010 version and repeating the process.

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Small fits great. I think they needed the sale to put more of their brand out there. 1st ascent line is pretty new and having the cloth out there will bring more people to check them out. However, by selling them at such a big discount, it shows how much of a margin they are getting and maybe some people will wait for their sale.

Q
    Spectator

@qqqqqqqq

I saw this thread a little late but I still managed to run into my local store today and pick up an XL Tall vest for $29 and while I was there I also fell for the fleece that was on sale. Not very ultralight but ultracomfortable and it will be nice for skiing and day hikes. I might order the igniter jacket online then return in store if I don't like it.

I am a little over 6'3" and 215lbs. Athletic build and the XL tall fleece and vest fit me great. I could have worn the L tall but it didn't give the same mobility or comfort that the XL does.

Edit: I ended up ordering the frontpoint jacket online. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of days and I can comment on it.

Mark Paquin

@markpaquin

this stuff is beautiful and legit. I tripped out on it at the Boulder store a few months back. Totally gorgeous well made product. Didn;t buy of course cause I'm a cheapskate! Maybe I'll take the chance now…

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Any working Eddie Bauer/1st Ascent coupons out there? I tried BAUER618, but it no longer works.

HJ

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

FR2PANTS gets you 20% off your order (clearance items excepted) if you buy a pair of pants.

The downlight vests on clearance were shown as sold out yesterday but are back today.

HJ

Q
    Spectator

@qqqqqqqq

My frontpoint shell came in the mail and first impressions are great. I tried layering it over the down vest and over the point success fleece and it seemed to work out very well. I will probably wear the shell to ski in addition to taking it on hikes. Everything seems well made and is very comfortable.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

…downlight vest in L and special edition sweater in XXL available now. Also, see mountain guide lite pants in XL.

Anyone have a set of mountain guide lite pants care to comment on sizing? According to the size chart, I should use a large, but am considering the available xl's.

–edit– meant to put this in the downlight sweater clearance thread. I really should finish my morning coffee before posting.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

The daily updates are getting smaller and smaller- so if you see something you want, grab it! I looked this morning at 8 AM CST, and everything posted was already sold out. First time I've seen the Downlight Limited Edition, too.

I've not tried the Mountain Guide pants, but I did buy a pair of Igniter pants. They serve a different purpose, so you probably can't draw a direct comparison… But the Igniter pant I bought was HUGE. I wear XXL in everything else I've tried from First Ascent, and an XXL in the hiking pants I own by Mountain Hardware, etc. The XXL Regular Igniter I bought was way, way too big. My usual inseam is 31", so I get 30" or 32" depending; inseam on the Regular height is supposed to be 32". Seemed more like 36"- even when hiked up as far as possible, I had inches of fabric past the bottom of my shoes and the knee reinforcements were at the bottom of my knees. Maybe it makes sense with platform mountaineering boots, but I couldn't figure out any situation in which I'd be able to wear them without doing some serious tailoring.

Anyway, fortunately returning them was such a trivial matter, as it always is with EB. If you get a pair, I'd like to hear how the sizing works out for you- I was debating a pair of the Mountain Guide pants myself.

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools