Topic

Hiking the Trans Catalina Trail, Santa Catalina Island, California

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Hiking the Trans Catalina Trail, Santa Catalina Island, California

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Got to hike Santa Catalina Island's new hiking trail in April. It opened in 2009. Santa Catalina is one of the Channel Islands, 22 miles off the coast of Los Angeles, CA.

The trail from start to finish is 37.2 miles, then you have to come back another 15-16. I did it in 3 1/2 days. Nice hike, views are amazing, but you do have to plan ahead. There are wild buffalo along the trail!

Pics and a trip report on my site PlanetRambler.com
    http://planetrambler.com/150mph/100413-16_TransCatalinaTrail/index.html

-Larry

Santa Catalina Island from PlanetRambler.com
    Blue skies, blue ocean

Looking northwest from above Little Harbor

The northwest end of the island is my favorite

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Larry,

What a cool hike. I knew there were trails and BPing opportunities there, but have never gotten around to checking them out. Now I will.

Can you explain the lockers with water and wood? Maybe I missed it. Did you stock them ahead of time, or is it a service that was provided. I assume there is zero fresh water available anywhere on the island.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Nice report – looked like you had a good time. Well thought out captions on the photos.

Nick, this is from the info section of the website:

"You can buy firewood and additional water ($12) in advance, but make sure to stop by the Visitor Center in Avalon or Two Harbors to pick up your key for the supplies locker at the campground. Rangers stock your bundle of wood and water in these metal lockers in advance then leave the key at the nearest Visitor Center."

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Thanks for sharing this! Added it to my list of future trips!

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Thanks for posting this report. This is a trip I wanted to do when I learned it existed about a year ago. I used to live in SoCal and always enjoyed Catalina Island, including camping there, which I did once before, but would love to backpack it. Seems like spring is the time to go. Your report will be a very good resource when I find the time to do it.

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Thanks for the comments guys, and having a look. It was one of the more memorable trips I've done in some time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone else interested in doing this trip as a group? I'm thinking we should put something together what do you think?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I was born and raised in Newport Beach-Ca. and spent many summers boating and camping around Catalina Island (Never backpacked when I was younger). This hike has been on my radar over the past few years and I would love to go….I would be interested in late Sept-Oct.–Bring a fishing pole, mask,snorkel,fins,pull-sling and try to live off the land also…

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

……..reminds me of "Island of the Blue Dolphins" from grade school…

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

Thanks for the pictures – looks gorgeous.

I'd love to do a BPL get-together on this island. My trip plans are somewhat set for this summer, but if the days work, I'll be happy to tag along.

Please find dates that are comfortable for all of you – I'll work around those dates.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

@ David,

Island of the Blue Dolphins! Exaclty! That's what came to mind immediately when I was browsing through the report and images, total primary school flashback with abalone on the mind.

@ Larry,

I loved your photos, Catalina is a beautiful place. There are a ton of cactus in the photos, what's the climate like there? Hot in the summer? Precipitation?

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

Very nice! In a past life I spent several weeks camping on San Clemente Island. Would love to take this trip someday.

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

I'd enjoy going through there again but I'm doing the JMT end of July and have most of Aug-Sep. booked too.

The climate is scorching by mid-summer, pretty much the same as LA, rain just a few mos. in Spring is it. Temps high 40's – 80's and 90's. Often a cloudy marine layer in early summer and sporadically anytime.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools