Topic

Need to Lighten Up/Choosing Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Need to Lighten Up/Choosing Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I need to work on lightening up. I, like probably most beginning backpackers, went to REI and bought the stuff I did not have and hit the trail. I knew nothing about UL backpacking or that people could actully go out in the woods for 5 days with 10 pounds on their backs. My pack has typically been weighing 35 pounds or so for a 2 night trip. I know, I know, I am working on getting that down. I have bought a scale and started weighing things. My pack itself, is super heavy, so I would like to take a look at my gear and figure out where I can make changes and what pack to buy. I have been looking at some of the GoLite options recently and just need some guidance.

A.)

1 ) Are you SOLO camping, or part of a TEAM?

I always backpack with at least one other person, it is typically my wife, but in some cases its with a larger group of my buddies.

2 ) WHERE will you be camping?

We typically camp in areas in, and around, Monteagle, TN, GSMNP, North Carolina, and North Alabama/Georgia. However, we have plans to take some more frequent trips out west. So, I am trying to generalize my gear as much as I can, because we do not want to have a 400 dollar piece of gear that we use 1 time every other year.

3 ) What type of WEATHER do you expect?

We generally backpack in weather anywhere from lows in the high 20s, to highs in the 100s. I know it is super broad, I would say 75% of our backpacking is lows in the high 50s, with highs in the mid to high 70s.

4 ) How LONG is your proposed trip?

75% of our trips are 2-3 nights. We do take longer trips, our longest was 6 nights, and we are trying to get a 7 night grand canyon trip together at some point.

Some notes about the gear. My wife and I share a lot of gear. We split the tent up, we only take one sleeping bag because it zips out flat like a quilt. In the real hot weather we do not even take a sleeping bag and just take our sleeping pads and a 10 ounce sheet.

You will notice that you do not see tent poles or stakes. My wife usually carries those. You also do not see Rain Pants, which I typically do not carry unless there is a significant chance of rain. Also, on the boots, my Moab Ventilator Mids sole is coming off after only about 30 miles or so of use. I plan to return them and am looking at the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultras. The thermarest stuff sack pillow is a luxury item, although it does double as a clothing stuff sack. As far as the stove and other cooking gear, my wife carries that so it is not on the list either. If you do not see an item that is a necessity, let me know, but most likely if it is not on here my wife carries it.

Here is my list and thanks in advance!
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/264371d40367ae982314980153182ece.pdf

Unknown abc

@edude

Hi! Just a few suggestions for some easy weight reduction without sacrificing comfort or safety :)

Footwear – Camp Camp Shoes – Target Croc Knockoffs (RL) 9.60

You could probably leave these or find a lighter solution, such as flip-flops.
    Weight savings if dropped: 9.6oz.

Clothing – Base Layer – Underwear REI Midweight MTS Boxer Briefs (RL) 3.50
    Clothing – Base Layer – Shirts REI Tech Shirt (RL) 6.25

I think that both an extra pair of pants and extra underwear is overkill, esp. for only 2-3 nights.
    Weight savings if dropped: 9.75

Shelters – Double Wall Tents REI Quarter Dome T3 – Tent and Rainfly 50.00
    Stuff Sacks Compression Sack – Dark Red – (Tent and Rainfly) 2.63

Shelter for 2 people summer? You might try an Equinox 8'x10' tarp (14oz, perhaps 20 with guylines, stakes, and groundsheet), and there will be no need for even a stuff sack. Used properly tarps can be far more comfortable than tents, esp. in humid conditions.
    Weight savings if replaced with tarp: 32.63oz!

Backpacks – Internal Frame Gregory Baltoro (RL) 89.00

Definetly some big possible savings here. You might look at the Golite Pinnacle (2lbs, 1oz; Volume: 4392in3/72L, $175.00) and your rain cover is a bit heavy but no need to replace it if your pack is about that volume.

Weight savings if replaced with Golite Pinnacle, 56oz!

Clips and Straps Niteize S-Biner #4 (2) 2.25

Perhaps just take one, and it's purpose to bearbagging. Weight savings: 1.125oz.

Water Bladder Camelbak Water Bladder – 3L (RL) 8.63

I have one of these too, and I used to use it. But a whole 1/2lbs. just for your water container? I like Aquafina wide mouth 1L bottles now. Platypus bottles are also an UL inexpensive alternative. And if you still want a hydration bladder system, you can get a Platy™ Bottle 2L ($13, 1.3oz.) and combine it with a Platypus Drink Tube Kit ($13, 2oz.)
    Weight savings if replaced with Platypus system: 5.33oz

Tools Gerber Hand Saw 6.75
    not needed.
    Weight savings: 6.75oz.

Total Weight Savings: 121.185oz, or 7.57lbs!!!
    almost 8lbs off total base weight with minimal cost and no loss of comfort or safety!
    Hope that helps :)

Happy hiking!!!

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

Everyone has their own hiking style, so all of the following is just my opinion.

I'd ditch the gigantic camelback and bring 2 half-liter water bottles of the type that bottled water is stored in. (This is assuming you're not hiking in the desert, etc.) Some myths about dehydration: http://www.lightandmatter.com/article/hiking_water.html Replacing the camelback with water bottles gives about -7 oz.

Swap hiking boots for running shoes, -6 oz.

Ditch trekking poles, -6 oz.

No crocs, -10 oz.

Instead of a pillow, just put clothing in a stuff sack, -3 oz.

Replace inflatable pads with closed-cell torso pads, -20 oz.

Replace tent with 5×8 silnylon tarp, -43 oz.

Replace Gregory backpack with lightweight pack (e.g., Gossamer Gear), -73 oz.

Unless major rain is a high probability, replace backpack cover with trash compacter bag used as pack liner, -4 oz

Swap rain jackets for lighter driducks, -6 oz.

Ditch headlamp unless you're really in the habit of hiking before dawn or after all the light is gone. Replace flashlight with tiny Photon Freedom keyfob light. -2 oz

Redo first-aid kit, eliminating unnecessary items and repacking other items in ziplock bags. -6 oz

Eliminate towel and use spare clothes instead. -2 oz

Replace toothpaste with baking soda, and chop off end of toothbrush, -2 oz

Ditch hand saw, which isn't really compatible with leave-no-trace, -6 oz

Total reduction: 12.25 lb.

The real low-hanging fruit here is the Gregory pack itself.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Unless major rain is a high probability, replace backpack cover with trash compacter bag used as pack liner, -4 oz"

Actually, a contractor bag properly closed will keep your gear 100% dry but the same can't be said of a pack cover. And when crossing major streams where a dunking is possible, a contractor bag will keep your gear dry. A pack cover will be useless.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I knew I would leave something out of my long winded post! Ok regarding the tent. My wife has one condition when we go backpacking, that we take all reasonable precautions against bugs (especially ticks). Where we hike, they are everywhere in the warmer months. The reason we have this tent is the bug netting. If we were to go to one of the options you all have listed here, what are some options to keep the bugs out at night?

In regards to the pack, I know it is too heavy, based on my gear, can you guys recommend any specific packs that would be a good option? How about the GoLite Pinnacle?

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Re bugs, I don't think the tent will help much against ticks, since you typically get ticks on you by brushing against bushes on the trail. Effective precautions include wearing long pants, tucking pant legs into your socks, and wearing light-colored clothing so that you can more easily see them and pick them off.

Mosquitoes generally won't get on you during the day because you're moving, and won't be an issue late at night because they become inactive when it's cold. In the evening, a head-net can be good. You can also camp far from water, which is a good idea anyway if you want to avoid the crowd experience in over-impacted waterside areas. I will admit to having slept in my car rather than outside on Tuesday night to avoid bugs. I wanted to go to sleep at 8, and didn't want to wait for the cold to make the bugs go away. I had a head-net, but it's still really annoying to have the darn things buzzing around your head and keeping you from sleeping.

Re packs, I've been very happy with my Gossamer gear G4. Main disadvantage is that a Garcia bear canister doesn't fit sideways.

Unknown abc

@edude

Regarding bugs, never fear! This can attach to the bottom of your tarp.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=375002110&mc=154&t=&lat=

About the pack:
    check out some reviews for the Golite Pinnacle:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=8172&cat=Backpacks%20-%20Frameless&cid=13

The Golite Pinnacle was just a good example, I can't personally endorse it because I don't own one. The Golite Jam2(Golite) is also another pack with a good reputation.

I'll try to get you some more links.

Unknown abc

@edude

REI Flash 50 Pack: http://www.rei.com/product/778469
    REI Flash 65 Pack: http://www.rei.com/product/778468
    Golite Jam: http://www.rei.com/product/793639
    Golite Peak: http://www.rei.com/product/793634#prodSpecs

just a few examples of lightweight packs with large capacity.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Frameless somewhat worries me for when we take the longer trips. Would it be beneficial to go with something like a ULA catalyst or Circuit? Or any other Ultra Light Internal Frame Pack?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Your pack should weigh less than 2 lb.
    Preferrably less than 1.5 lbs.

if you're going to replace your heavy Gregory, don't just go half way.

Golite packs have gotten a lot heavier in the last 2 years.
    (more bells and whistles).

My pack weighs 1-lb 2-oz.
    it is a modified Golite Gust (no longer made, but first generation Pinnacle).

Determine if you will ever carry a bear cannister, then get the smallest, lightest pack that will do this.

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Just used mine for the first time and it good to go!!
    Dropped my 7 pound northface pack and save around 5 pounds.

If you move fast theres one for sale on the gear swap.

Better hurry….. $75.00

David Ure

@familyguy

For the same weight as the Pinnacle, although a little smaller but more feature rich, have a look at the ULA Circuit. It has an UL frame and is much better at load transfer.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

"Frameless somewhat worries me for when we take the longer trips."
    Actually a frameless pack works best when it's full. You get problems when it's *not* as full, because then it's not being kept rigid by the stuff packed inside. The typical solution when it's not full is to leave the sleeping bag out of its stuff sack. Sometimes you'll find that when you arrange your gear in a frameless pack in a certain way, it slumps to the side or pokes you in the back. Then you just have to figure out a better way of arranging the stuff. IMO it's an example of a trade-off of weight versus skill and time (skill of knowing how to pack it, time required to get it packed in a way that works).

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I have lots of great suggestions to lighten up. Thanks for that. I have a thread in the Gear forum to ask for shelter and pack recommendations. I sold my Gregory Baltoro and My Quarter Dome T3 locally to a co-worker today so I am ready to start shopping for a new tent and pack! I am also going to REI today to try on some Trail Runners. So I should be able to drop close to 6 pounds with just these changes. Then I obviously have a lot more I can work on as well.

Here is my thread for shelter/pack suggestions. Thanks all.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=34019

Andrew Mazibrada

@cohenfain

Locale: UK and Western Europe

Gossamer Gear Gorilla – 696g, internal (removeable) frame, durable, comfortable, 45 litre pack. Great mesh pockets and customisable bungee cord loops so you can put bungee cord wherever you want on the pack. It's a really great pack.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I have always been perplexed why the Gorilla sells so well. The Mapriposa Plus has more capacity by 13L, weighs less, and has a msx load rating of 30lbs versus 35lbs. I have never seen a Gorilla, but it seems to be very similar to the Mariposa Plus. However the material of the Gorilla is more robust, which is probably why it is rated to carry a higher load. I am sure someone can provide feedback on why the would choose a Gorilla over the Mariposa Plus.

I guess that is the fun, so many options.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Re the Gorilla, I can see using it for something like canyoneering, where you're scraping your pack against rocks a lot. The other GG packs are meant to be replaced fairly often. Some people might prefer to have a pack that will last forever. What I do have a hard time imagining is what a person could carry that would weigh 35 lb and fit in 46 liters. Depleted uranium?

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Nick,
    I chose the Gorilla for the extra durability. Big enough but the extra durablity makes the difference imo. It compares in size more to the miniposa which is much lighter.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Durability is definitely an important consideration. I just had to order a new Murmur, because bushwacking did some damage to it. I do try to be careful with these UL packs, but sometimes it doesn't work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Likewise I like the durabilty of the GG Gorilla in SE USA.. If I need more volume for say winter trip, or longer spring/summer/fall trip I use a ULA Circuit, which for me is a very comfortable fairly large volume pack. On shelters and desire to have what appears be fully enclosed, look at single wall tents. I really like my TT Rainbow, and Contrail. Good luck to you and your wife in lightening up..

Andrew Mazibrada

@cohenfain

Locale: UK and Western Europe

I was looking at the Mariposa, and was concerned about durability as hillwalking in the UK and Northern Europe involves a real need for durability or the need to be really careful with your pack. I did not want to have to be worried about whether my pack might get punctured at any moment when scrambling so went for the more durable but still very lightweight Gorilla. Thus, as some have already said, the Gorilla is popular because of that fact. Also, I really do not need to space that the Mariposa has to offer and a slightly smaller sack will carry better than a lightly loaded bigger one.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

for a shelter look at:

Big agnes fly creek 2 UL
    Tarptents or the spinn versions at gossamer gear
    Lightheart tents
    Sixmoon desings tents

under 3lbs for sure on these.

also i went for a framed pack to frameless and its introduction hike was 100 miles and I felt great the first day back. that never had happened before.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

@Benjamin
    "Re bugs, I don't think the tent will help much against ticks, since you typically get ticks on you by brushing against bushes on the trail. "

On the contrary, in the OP's region there are areas where ticks descend upon you in horrifying numbers, especially mid-summer to fall. This I find especially true on trails shared with equestrians. I have been covered in ticks more than twice and will never sleep in this region without a noseeum shield. Some of the ticks are so teeny they look like little freckles and you don't know they are on you until you get home. I have many scars from tick bites. I use a Ti-Goat bivy but I may switch to some kind of bug shelter under my tarp this fall.

Best solution in this area is a good tarp and a bug net with floor hanging under it. It's generally too hot aroung this region for a full tent, IMO.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools