Topic

DPR supergigantic “travel zoom” conparison test

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography DPR supergigantic “travel zoom” conparison test

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

This is a popular category (very compact cameras with approx. 10x zooms) for backpacking photographers, so I'd encourage anybody in the market to give it a going over. There are even several in the group of twelve that have GPS.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

Cheers,

Rick

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Awww crap. I just bought a Canon SX 210 IS last week, and I hadn't seen this article yet. I might take a look at the Samsung…

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Hi Travis,

Don't kick yourself too hard, they only rolled out the article today. I can't guess how long it took to research and write the thing.

The Samsung does look interesting, starting with that sweet AMOLED display.

Cheers,

Rick

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Best Buy has the Samsung on sale for $250. That's a good price, but its online only. I still have time to return the Canon, and I'm thinking I'd really like to compare these two myself. Its sometimes hard to buck the trend when a name brand has always been regarded as the "best" (aka Canon). But as with everything, they're not the only outfit in town anymore.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I'm not sure why they called this "supergigantic." They are compact travel cameras with good zoom.

If you want to talk about "supergigantic," I have a 13-pound lens that I carry often, but not when I go UL.

–B.G.–

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Hi Bob,

Supergigantic was my made-up word for a baker's dozen camera test. Travel zoom is their made-up term for cameras that aren't quite super zooms, neither compacts. Sorry for any confoozion.

Cheers,

Rick

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Bob, your thoughts on the Canon SX210 IS vs. the Samsung HZ35W?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I can't make any comparison, because I have not seen the Samsung unit at all. I was backpacking a few weeks ago, and I was carrying a heavy rig. My buddy was carrying a brand new Canon SX210IS. He shot some video clips with it, and for a first-time handheld video experience, I thought it turned out OK. It does have teeny-tiny stereo microphones in the camera body, but I don't think that is going to do a whole lot for sounds of wildlife grazing 100 feet away.

I'm more used to big equipment that gets excellent results, but that is just me. Disclaimer: I have my seventh Canon camera now, so I am biased.

–B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Gotcha. Thanks though, especially for your Canon bias disclaimer! : )

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools