Topic

MS, LA, AL — July 3,4,5

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips MS, LA, AL — July 3,4,5

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Davis Grier

@signaltonoise

Looking for a July 3,4,5 trip in the southern states. I live in MS and looking for something within driving distance, of course.

Had considered Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas but there will likely be closings due to the recent flooding. If anyone in the Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama area is interested please let me know.

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Locale: Indy

I had also considered eagle rock that weekend. But it will likely be closed. I'm nw louisana. Let me know if you find an alternitive location and I'll join you

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Sipsey in NW Alabama is pretty cool. Kinda a drive from LA though… Theres a big rock formation and lots of little nooks and crannies to explore- Bring your water shoes and use the creeks for a road

I lived in the pine belt for a while and DeSoto sucks! Its the only one that ever makes Backbreaker mag, but it is just walking through a pine forest, no features.

Davis Grier

@signaltonoise

Douglas, what about Kisatchie Wilderness in Louisiana? I've never been there and don't know anything about it, but it is a reasonable drive from my part of MS and closer to you than Sipsey. I still have that weekend open if you are still interested.

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Locale: Indy

I've been to the caney lakes district to mountain bike a few times. It is extremely hot in louisana right now afternoon temps nearing 100 with high humidity. I've never been to the other kisatchie districts but I've heard of the wild azealea trail which seems ok. Bugs may be a major prob right now tho

Davis Grier

@signaltonoise

Yeah, it's going to be hot, humid and buggy anywhere in those three states. Sipsey has plenty of water and plenty of shade, but it's a long drive for you. Right now I'm open to any suggestions. I've been to Sipsey dozens of times so it won't hurt my feelings to go somewhere else. Any other ideas?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

De Soto Alabama isn't terrible… far far away, though.

Ahh the south… I wish I could grab all my friends from there and a few restaurants and bring em up where I live now. They need to put in some more features. Some rivers, maybe a mtn or two.

Geoffrey Lehmann
    BPL Member

@yipper

Locale: deep south

It is 100 degrees and 42 % RH on the Kisatchie Ranger District this afternoon. It has been dry enough that the mosquitoes are not a problem in the daytime.

You can make a 26 mile loop out of the Backbone Trail, Caroline Dorman Trail, and the Sandstone (ATV) Trail

The Wild Azalea Trail on the Evangeline Unit of the Calcasieu Ranger District is a point-to-point 27 mile trail.

geoff

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools