Topic

Golite Lair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite Lair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Hello all,

I am new to ultralight backpacking, and have a question regarding the Golite Lair. It seems short. For someone who is using a ‘long’ bag or bivy, it appears that one’s head would likely be exposed, which is not great in rain. Am I missing something? Conversely, can anyone recommend a similar tarp in size, weight, and ease of use? Thanks to all in advance,

David

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Well David, first thing is that when you are in storm conditions, you will be setting your tarp lower to the ground (ie the front and back) to add more protection. I am 6’1 and use a long sleeping bag and a long bivy. I have used smaller tarps (namely Integral Designs Sil Tarp) and have only had spin drift from rain really affect me. If you are looking at a 12 ounce tarp and a bivy (which I am wondering how much that weighs) you might want to look at a Henry Shires Tarp Tent or a Six Moon Designs Luna Solo. If those are too heavy for you, then look at a Gossamer Gear Spinn Shelter which is fully enclosed and adds to your comfort zone with rain.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

I used a Lair on a couple of trips and also found it short. I no longer use it for that reason. For (barely) adequate rain protection, you have to lower the peak close to the ground or close off the opening with something. If they’d just made it a little longer or added a front beak, it would have been a much better design.

If you like the GoLite line, take a look at the Hut. It’s similar to the Lair but adds a front vestibule. The Integral Designs Silshelter is likewise similar.

Other tarp options abound, including:
    Outdoor Research Helium Solo
    – Oware CatTarps and FlatTarps
    – Granite Gear White Lightnin
    – Mountain Laurel Designs

Moving up the shelter scale, take a look at the Henry Shires TarpTents. I’ve used the Virga and the new Rainbow and like both.

Ken Walsh

@kwbackpack

The GoLite Cave is 2 oz more than the Lair and significantly larger and longer. GoLite appears to be out of stock, but I do have one for sale on the gear swap forum. It is compatible with the Lair Nest mosquito nets as well.

Ken

David Ure

@familyguy

Its the attack of the ‘Kens!’ Just kidding.

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Ken Walsh: The Cave 1 sounds interesting. I contacted Golite and they indicated that it was slowly going out of production, although could not provide a defining response why. I will consider your FS posting.

Ken Ross: That’s what I thought with respect to the length. Thanks for the empirical perspective. I will definitely consider the other tarps. Time to do some more research!

Ken Helwig: Thanks for the suggestions. The Bivy is just under a pound. I already have a BA Sarvis but wanted a sleeping system that was much lighter but that had more flexibility. Use the tarp, don’t use the tarp, use only the Bivy, etc. Yet…the Luna Solo has much appeal…

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

Found it! Here’s some more info about the Lair.

William Wright

@farstar

I have an OR He Awning which I’ve used both solo and with my two children. Even with one side raised, it’s a tight fit for three, but it is very deep (I’m 6’0″). I believe the Solo version is also cut very long, allowing you to burrow deep in the rain. However, there are only three tieouts on each side, so I doubt it’d do great in high wind. With 20/20 hind sight, I’d opt for a MLD Grace tarp sized for 2 or 3–lots of tieouts and inside attachment points, and a lot more versatile (i.e., in addition to length, it also has sufficient width to forego need for a bivy).

james schardt

@jamie_s

The hut is a good option. I’m 6’0″ and it is long enough for me, but I will add side pullouts because the fabric sags (and will touch a sleeping bag) when wet.

-jamie

David Ure

@familyguy

The MLD tarps look very well thought out and address my one concern (even in their literature) with respect to usable length.

I was trying to decipher whether the lighter weight Grace tarps are extremely thin to the point at which they would not be the best bet for poor weather (rain, moderate wind, etc). Has anyone had any experience with this line?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools