Topic

1st time tarping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I went out on a car camping trip last weekend with some friends to try out my new Silnylon ultra lightweight minimalist bug bivy from BearPaw Tents and the new tarp from ID. The weather was good with the day temps around 60* and the night temps in the high 40's to low 50's with a slight breeze. Lots of lady bugs and earwigs, never seen so many earwigs what an annoyance, good thing I had the bivy. I took my Marmot Atom 40* bag which turned out to be a little on the warm side, woke up a few times during the night sweating, had to unzip, whew! Wanted to post some pics. The bivy weighs in at around 7 3/4 oz my pack is getting lighter AHHHHH!! bivy1 bivy2 bivy3 bivy4 bivy5 bivy6 Also in the pics is my buddy Kevins MH bivy. We went a little heavy on the ground tarps because we knew we wouldn't be hiking. Overall I really love my new bivy, light and it keeps the bugs out!

kevin smith

@divr6347

yea the ear wigs sucked but stayed out of my bivy which was
    a good decision on thier part lol i really like my mh micro mesh bivy it has enough room for me to move around
    at night and not look like a chunk of seran wrap lol
    not exactlythelightest bivy on the market but it does have all the features i was looking for like full side zip and
    a mesh hood i too was warm in my marmot down bag (arroyo)
    and had to exit my bivy and change clothes other than that a great trip and really good food including jack s wifes
    homemade refried beans those were great with breakfast
    too bad the dog missed it lol
    kevin

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Here's a pic of the lost dog lost dog Looks like a dog from hell with those eyes!!

kevin smith

@divr6347

yea and he ate half my sausage and my blueberry muffins

he was really nice though
    kevin

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Which tarp? I can't find it on ID website- looks naaace

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I believe it is the Siltarp 2 in gray of course. Kevin would know for sure, maybe he can chime in on this one.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Looks like you got the tarp pretty taunt. Your side tie out lines are too long. Go for 18" – 24" inches in length. Will make a big difference in windy conditions.

kevin smith

@divr6347

the tarp is a id siltarp 2 8×10 great tarp so far
    go on the id site and look under fast&light then click on siltarps it will bring it up

as to the guy lines right now they are all at 30 inches
    can shorten them with no problem maybe on the next trip we will try it out

kevin

Geoff Webb

@photonic

You can always tie things shorter, but it is more difficult to lengthen a short line.

My side lines are approx 3', I love being able to get the extra ventilation in the summer. I can always tie short or stake to the ground in storm conditions.

Just my $.02, worth what you paid for it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools