Topic

Central Cascades 3 Season Set-up

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Central Cascades 3 Season Set-up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Justin Tremlin

@notu

Locale: Central Washington

Here is my 3 Season 2 days 1 night set-up for the Central Cascades in Washington State. Tell me what you think.

Note: For longer trips just add food and water. For sleeping below the tree line. replace the OPsak with a cuben fiber bag, Ursalite line, and a micro-biner (add 0.65oz).

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/30475e643b8aa197635f19b0da45672d.pdf

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Justin, I am unable to copy your link because it goes off the page so I redid it here: Justin's link

Just a quick glance:
    Why are you carrying so much water? 4 lbs is crazy, you are in the cascades! One liter maybe two, there is plenty of water around.

Your have way to many bags- aloksask, and elkay- why so many? put everything in one larger one.

Omit the extra batteries- put new ones in before you go- they last for a number of trips anyway.

With the water alone you can lose 3 lbs., but a good list other then that.

Justin Tremlin

@notu

Are you suggesting that I have my tooth brush, Tylenol, Advil, gauze, and Band-Aids rolling around in one bag Unprotected with DEET, sunscreen, tent stakes, and hand sanitizer?

As for water: If I was hiking in the Enchantments or west, you would be correct, I have way to much water. But east of that there is no water. That’s where I spend most of my time. I should have been more specific.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Justin, the way your spreadsheet opens on my computer it shows 6 aloksacks and 4 elkays… I would say that is a little excessive.
    I put the deet, sunscreen and sanitizer in one and the firstaid in another. The tents stakes don't need one.

Water- where East is there no water? I was up in the sawtooths east of Lake chelan last summer and ran into water every 1/2 hour. If you are walking in the desert (ancient lakes) then I wouldn't use that seepage water either but I have never had a problem on the east slope.

Justin Tremlin

@notu

No water – The Eniat Mountains. East of Leavenworth, North of Peshastin area.

Elkay bags – Gauze, Band-Aids & Leukotape in one. Pills in another. One tiny bag for my (sometimes wet) tooth brush. These 3 bags are in with the rest of the small items in my pack. Other that putting Elkay bags one & two together, a savings of 2grams, the other option of putting all of the harsh chemicals in one bag. which would mean I now have loose pills and gauze unrolling all over my toothbrush. Elkay bag #4 is for the Nuun. That is to keep it from turning into dust in my pack (or at leased keeping the dust together). The alocksaks are mainly for food. each meal is package separately (I cook and eat out of each one/No dishes). If I was to consolidate meals to reduce bags I would still be at 4 alocksak bags, a savings of 16 grams.

That said I will look at the water I carry. I have in the past run out of water. But I guess that's were brains over equipment comes in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools