Topic

Baladeo 34 Gram (1.19 oz) Knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Baladeo 34 Gram (1.19 oz) Knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

First heard about this knife a long time ago. I was going to buy one a long time ago for product testing, but it somehow fell through the cracks.

For you "Backpack" magazine fans, this knife recently resurfaced in the June 2010 edition. I thought some of you might not be familiar.

Retails for $34.99

http://www.baladeo.com/produits.php?langue=en&tri=univers&id_rubrique=12&id_sous=17&identifiant=ECO095#titre

Here are a few pictures I took direction from the site.

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

Locale: The Canadian Shield

That knife doesn't look particularly safe, sturdy or comfortable to use.

Hard to tell but it looks like a frame lock but I wouldn't trust it with out a scale on the other side to keep your hand from engaging it. The other scale also adds a lot of strength to the blade, everything on this is held together by the pin and the tang thats been cut out for the lock making it even weaker.

I'd never even toss that in my nice backpack, the blades exposed and with such poor design i doubt they put a detent help keep it closed.

All round ditching a scale, which if made from titanium and skeletonized weighs next to nothing, is a horrible idea.

David Ure

@familyguy

I would much prefer my Gerber LST for the same weight.

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

Locale: The Canadian Shield

buckmayo

Here's a light knife that I can fully endorse. Been carrying one every day for the last few years. Top quality CPM S30V stainless with the best heat treatment in the business (Paul Bos), teflon washers, titanium handles with a tempered locking bar, excellent detent (knife can't be snapped open).

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

It looks neat in that straight razor kind of way. I would never trust it though. That thing just looks dangerous.

Juston Taul

@junction

However, I would spend $35 just to try it out. It might not be perfect and is definitely not something I would want to test the strength of, but for 34grams it might be a good option for some.

I'll try it and let you guys know what I think of it. I'll see what it takes to break it. :D

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I'm certainly no knife expert either, but I went to the BLADE show in Atlanta this weekend and kind of got spoiled. Not sure if I can ever use a junky knife again after handling some of the cool stuff there.

I asked some guys carrying knives worth thousands of $ for advice on a good, inexpensive, lightweight backpacking knife and they all unanimously agreed on a Dozier-designed Ka-Bar lock blade folder. I got one (Rob Dozier himself gifted one to my son actually) and I can say this thing is a sturdy little beast. They are going for $17 on Amazon. Only 2.3 oz on my scale and it has a little belt clip that could be removed. Mine's black with a regular silver blade. They come in several colors. Dozier's fixed blades are works of art, but much pricier.

Juston Taul

@junction

I'll stick with my 1.8oz Benchmade 530

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Ditto………..

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I've been using the Baladeo knife for several months and I'm not a knife guy. The only utility I've been able to find with a knife to make it worth the weight, and hassle of keeping track of it, is for cleaning fish. Other than that, its uses seem limited to me on the trail for *most* types of backpacking.

That said, the concerns that I've seen voiced about the Baladeo 34g are probably based on looking at the design rather than using it. When I first held the knife, I had the same concerns about safety, stowage, carrying it in pocket, etc.

The lock is not secure and it's easy to disengage the lock during use. The lock does provide more security than the lock on some heavier knives, like the BM 530.

So what! I learned to whittle on a non-locking buck knife, and when I teach knife use to young kids I always start them on a non-locking knife. It forces you into good technique. Locks can make you lazy. However, locks allow you to do more things with a knife safely — I will grant that.

I really like the Baladeo 34. Beautiful aesthetics, the quality is excellent, and for my primary use — cleaning fish and whittling shavings for starting woodfires — it works great. I carry it clipped into my pants pocket and I've never lost it, and it's never posed a safety problem and accidentally disengaging in my pocket, where I'm scrambling, bushwhacking, or trail walking.

Juston Taul

@junction

The lock does provide more security than the lock on some heavier knives, like the BM 530.

This is not an accurate statement. An axis lock is much stronger than a liner lock. Any knife enthusiast knows this to be common knowledge. Hell, even a back lock is much stronger.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Does the chisel grind make it more ergonomic to use for rightys only? You would have to tilt downward if you are left handed, wouldn't you?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It is light and cheap, but there's not much else to talk about. I don't like the handle or lock design and I would like to know what alloy the steel is.

If you are using it for food prep, you might as well have a Victorinox paring knife that is 3/4oz and $4.50 US.

I would go for any Swiss Army knife or an Opinel before this one.

For food prep and cleaning fish, do keep cleaning in mind. The Swiss Army knives are miserable to get the gunk out of the innards.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Just to comment on the Opinel, of which I am a huge fan, and seem to be an unintentional collector of, there's one major flaw to the design that doesn't lend itself too well to outdoors work.

If they get wet, the wood swells and they can be impossible to open in the field. Bang for buck though, these guys are in the realm of Moras/Pukkas.

Donald Kevilus

@fourdogstove

Locale: Woodlands

I am with Dale and Javan
    A # 7 opinel weighs 30 grams,
    3 inch blade, SURE ! fire locking and fits nice in pocket
    or hand.
    Easy to sharpen and even floats !

I have never had a problem with a well seasoned one to hard to open and if it does do the "frap".

At only $ 12.00 retail a person can not go wrong. With wide use by millions through out the globe for a tryed and proven folder it has truly passed the test of time.

Juston Taul

@junction

Only one problem I see with this knife… It's a French company. ;)

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

baladéo is a french company too :)
    créated by Luc Foin and Stéphane Lebeau in 1995.

Juston Taul

@junction

I have nothing against them. Just teasing a little.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

How are these Opinel's for filleting fish? The weight would indicate a very thin blade, I would think.

Donald Kevilus

@fourdogstove

Locale: Woodlands

They actual have a thinner more flexable style thats is excellent as a fillet knife, the slim knife series.
    There are 4 different sizes, stainless steel blade.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Donald! That's it! Exactly what I wanted. I had looked at their "product map" but, there are sooooo many knives listed that I never made it that far down the page.

Thanks a bunch! Now I just need to figure out which size I want.

EDIT: I got the #12, whoopieee!

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

I'm still very interested in the Baladeo 34 gram. Is there anyone else besides Ryan who has personal experience with the knife?

A second opinion would be great. Ryan did talk down its safety concern while closed, but it still worries me some. And who can speak to its ease of use for left-handed folk?

Another quick review like Ryan gave would be great!

Thanks in advance

Juston Taul

@junction

Ben…

The problem with this knife is the lock system. It's a liner lock, which isn't always a bad thing. I own several liner lock knives that are very safe and strong. This particular knife is not one that I could ever trust. The reason is that it uses part of the frame to lock the blade in place. The part you hold it by. One could easily disarm the lock and have the blade fold in on them causing damage to the user.

The knife also lacks strength in the axis. Most knives are dual supported. This knife incorporate a single support system and will not tolerate horizontal stress to a high degree when compared to other modern knives.

It's not a workhorse knife. If you understand this, respect the knife and its limitations… 34 grams isn't too bad. I think there are much better options. This is just my opinion and I am in no way a knife expert. Just my little disclaimer.

Dave Cannon

@dacannonearthlink-net

Locale: Southern Calif.

I like the Baladeo but I never use a pocket clip, it catches and the knife gets lost. The Baladeo is small enouth to go in a pocket. So in the spirit of LIGHT I removed the pocket clip and added a small .038" thick washer and "wala" the knife is now down to 29g.
    29g Baladeo Knife

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Thanks Juston. I see what you're saying:

A knife with a lock that I can't feel totally confident in is not a knife that I want, especially for my purposes, as the knife would serve as a lightweight survival knife sort of tool. Unfortunately, if what you say is true and it has limitations like the ones you said, I need to look for something sturdier and, I suppose, heavier.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools