Topic

ULA Arctic 1000 pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Arctic 1000 pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a thread on this yet (I appologize if there is and I missed it), but how freaken cool is the ULA drybag set up being used for the Arctic 1000? If they produced it, I know it would be on my short list.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Brian at ULA posted on arctic1000 site that you should email him if you are interested. He is considering making a small number if there is enough interest. I would like to see a version for a smaller POE drybag like the 25 liter bag.

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

I am considering offering a one time run of the Artic Dry Pack as a “Special Edition” of some sort.

Not sure how much the pack would change from what Roman, Jason, and Ryan are using. Ryan’s pack was a bit different than Roman and Jason’s, so depending on what the majority prefer (options will become clear if/when I decide to sew some up)some consensus as to design will be come to. Feedback from The Artic Crew post hike will also be of obvious benefit before I get to sewing.

In the meantime if you are interested, please e-mail me: [email protected] and I will get your name and contact info on file. Artic Dry Pack in the subject line would be appreciated.

Lastly, I will be heading out for ~2 months of hiking again this fall, so delivery on these packs (should I decided to do ’em) would not likely happen until winter ’06.

Thank you again for your interest.

Channing Sze

@eeyore

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Could one harness hold more than size of dry bag?

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

The harness system can accomodate other size drybags. It can be compressed or expanded as necessary. Another option for folks can be seen at:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2933&src=searchDirect&refer=2933#

The ULA version would be more $$$, about a lb less weight, an external mesh pocket, as well as hipbelt pockets.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

email ULA—-done. I’m patient.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

It’s maybe a bit pricey but I would expect that a Gearskin might work with a dry bag and also work without a drybag for those times when you don’t think it’s necessary.

I haven’t used a gearskin but Sgt. Rock sure liked it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Are there photos on line? I have one of rhe Exped dry packs wich is a mesh bag and shoulder straps with a waterproof stuff sack in it. It is great for day hikes, but too small to be practical for multi-day trips. When I first saw the Equinox Katahdin pack I thought it was a harness-and-bag system. I remember Dana or somebody making a harness and bag system, but not in the UL realm. I like the idea of being able to use whatever size bag is appropiate for the trip and the ease of repair– if you rip it, you can just drop another dry bag in the harness and keep going. A heavier stuff sack could be added outside the waterproof bag for those trips you know will have some bushwacking.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The ULA artic dry pack is very cool. Somewhat heavier, was the dana designs racer-x. 2lb 2oz with a 25L drybag. The harness could easily accomidate a larger drybag if you wanted to swap them out. I though the harness was pretty comfortable carrying 30lbs.

–mark

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

I’ll take one please!

Brian

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

The Dana Racer X can still be found on a few close-out sites. When discussing the Artic Pack with the Roman, he mentioned that his main beef (in addition of it being too heavy, too complicated, etc) was that using a Dry Bag larger than 25 L, the compression on the Dana was woefully inadequate as the upper compression straps angle and would be positioned only half way up a 50 L Dry Bag…not very stable for MONSTER loads. So, we went with 3 compression straps.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools