Topic

SanDisk Sansa Clip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear SanDisk Sansa Clip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Steve Small

@lustreking

Does the bitrate or file format have any affect on battery life?

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Steve,

Great question. In my experience recording at lower bit rates consume less power. playback may produce a constant load on the device. It may be worth me burning out some batteries to figure that out.

My experience with recording is with a Zoom H2 digital audio recorder and a Canon HF100 HD camcorder. Both use SD cards for storage. When recording at low bitrates on both devices battery time increases. I think that's because the devices are writing less information to the SD card and may also be using less processing power to produce the files.

Playback seems to go longer on the camcorder when playing back lower bitrate files… at least the battery life indacator goes up. Perhaps, again this is the result of the device needing less access to the smaller files on the SD card.

Bren Knowles
    Spectator

@actionpocket-2

…that I'm not on the trail. It's a great player, actually mine is getting some new music on it right now, 2gb is not a lot, but these can take a micro sd card to expand the memory. It's a much better deal than the small ipods, just be aware that they don't play apple files.

I unfortunately converted my entire music collection to a lower bit-rate than what I am happy with, because most of my files were aac.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I sgree that this is a pretty decent player, when getting these off a certain major auction site, ask whether refurbishment included a new battery same with a single seller, how's the battery strength? I like the auto shutdown feature on the older ones which seems annoying at first but I've forgotten a couple time to shutdown my newer one off especially after charging only to find the battery exhausted when I do go to use it.

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

I laid it out in the sun for a couple hours and it works perfectly.

Khader Ahmad

@337guanacos

Locale: Pirineos, Sierra de la Demanda

I'm surprised no one knows about http://www.rockbox.org

Better battery usage, all the small problems corrected, a real EQ, better menus, FLAC capability and it's Open Source. Can't live without it

Steve Small

@lustreking

>I laid it out in the sun for a couple hours and it works perfectly.

Mine has been through the wash twice too, and well as falling in a puddle for a couple minutes. Still works great!

>I'm surprised no one knows about http://www.rockbox.org

I used rockbox on an old Sansa that I had, but I had no idea that they had a port for the Clip. I'll have to check it out.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Khader what theme do you use for rockbox? I love the features it adds to my clip! I have been playing with a solar charger for this and other trail tech.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

Just installed this on my sansa fuze (had to dig it out of the gear closet) last night.

Thanks for the tip!

One thing I hate though, is that it brought back an old problem I used to have with it.

See it used to do this thing with the OFW where if I used the dial or buttons, the screen would go black, and then 10-15 seconds later the backlight would come back on. Made navigation super tedious. Then I updated the OFW not too long ago and it worked great.

Now with rockbox, its don't the backlight thing again :( haha

Khader Ahmad

@337guanacos

Locale: Pirineos, Sierra de la Demanda

@Bender:
    I'm using one of the basic themes, boxes. It's clean and simple, that's more than enough. Good luck with the charger, I still haven't found a cheap good way to solve the problem.

@James
    : Just uninstall it :(

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools