Topic

An evaluation of the gear I packed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists An evaluation of the gear I packed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Locale: deep south

I posted my gear list for my AT section hike earlier and got some good advice, some I followed some I did not. One suggestion was to take what I listed then see if I could go without it and reevaluate when I got home.

I decided I could leave the extra shirt at home next time. I can be dirty but not cold or wet. So the clothing weight should be saved for that.

I did fine with just the shorts I was wearing.

I definitely need a thicker pad. i brought my 10 oz zrest and never slept good on any of the 6 nights. Too hard.

My food was just about right, not much left over, just a few snack crackers and nuts.

The SPOT never worked so I will not be using that or carrying it again.
    (hope they will refund it at Bass Pro..)

Loved the StickPic I added at the last minute.

I needed/used everything else. My total base was 14 lbs and fully loaded for the week was 24. Felt great and no pressure soreness on my hips or shoulders.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I'm glad you had a good trip Rhonda. For a pad you might look at the Thermarest Neoair or Kooka Bay Air Mats if you don't need much insulation. If you need more insulation you might look at the Thermarest Womans Prolite, Prolite Plus, a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core or Kooka Bay down or synthetic insulated mat (custom- you have to email him).

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

I have considered the neoair but not sold based on some reviews. Would love more information from those who have one. Maybe check the gear review pages. It was a fantastic hike!

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

+1 for "Big Agnes Insulated Air Core"

Not UL but who cares when it comes to sleep. Just go as small as you can.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

i know this is off topic, but have you ever considered a hammock, never had a bad night sleep since i switched. They can be as light as ground setups nowadays.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I know it works great for some people but you can't use it on the AT in the Smoky's as you have to stay in the shelters.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I thought there were various campsites around. I also thought that on the AT it didn't matter as long as you were "thru'ing" the smokies.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

If you're actually on the AT in the Smokies, you are supposed to stay in shelters. Not doing so would be at one's own risk of fine or whatever other punishment the Ranger's choose to impose.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

You will not catch me hiking there without a backup plan though. Those shelters tend to be booked and some people just show up(and didn't reserve).

But of course, yes you do everything possible to make sure your in one of those shelters. Although it doesn't keep me off the trail, I hate those critter infested things but I play by the rules.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Never done the Smokies (on my list of todos!). On parts of the Virginia AT, there are tent pads at the shelters in case the shelter is full so it's more staying at the shelter and not necessarily actually in the shelter, no such thing in the Smokies?

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

i'm pretty sure its a $150 fine each camper. and much more if you have a dog as those are not allowed in gsmnp either.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Noope, no tenting around the AT shelters in the Smokies.

Jason Hower
    BPL Member

@seeksolitude

Locale: Coachella Valley

I have used the NeoAir on many trips. I like it a lot, as I tend to like lots of padding. It lets me fine-tune the softness I want based on the amount of air I put in.

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Okay… gotta fess up. It wasn't the SPOT that malfunctioned it was me. Got my sequence messed up and was waiting for gps signal before pressing OK button when I was supposed to press ok then the gps signal will come on. HUMAN ERROR! Guess I need to go back on the trail and try again.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i switched from a zlite full length to a small neoair, and i've never woken up sore since. i still use the zlite under the neoair when im car camping or winter camping.

The neoair is SO much smaller, lighter, and much more comfortable. i got mine from campsaver when it was on sale, and i think it was around a $100 for everything back then (pad, sack, and repair kit). unfortunately, they've raised the price a bit…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools