Topic

Is there a combo pole/pole/brolly?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Is there a combo pole/pole/brolly?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Wagner

@wagnerw

Locale: NorCal

I have never hiked with hiking poles and have rarely (but not never) felt like they would be worth carrying.

I usually hike with a tarp and attach it to a tree or stick I find along the way. If the stick is not great, then my shelter is not great that night. I could use a pole.

I always want to carry an unbrella, but I am usually disappointed when it does not rain and I carried it for nothing.

Is there a way (or even a product out there) to combine the three? I imagine that I could get something pretty light combining these three uses without spending an arm and a leg. Does this thing exist?

Thanks,
    Wayne

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Komperdell had one , but I cannot see that listed on their site.
    Franco

Wayne Wagner

@wagnerw

I found a link to this product, but it is listed at 15.6 oz. At this weight, I could get two separate hiking poles and an umbrella.

http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/index.php?/archives/507-Komperdell-Schirmstock-Umbrella-Hiking-Pole.html

David Heath

@snowguy

Locale: Boulder Colorado

Along this line I was thinking of adapting a golite umbrella (7.5oz) to a carbon fiber treking pole. I don't know if this is possible but it might work. I also recently added a 1/4-20 hanger bolt to the top tip of my treking pole handle which allows me to attach my camera there. this "monopod" works quite well in place of a tripod.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

An umbrella is an item I thought would be handy in long summer sun hikes. Not just for rain.

Wayne Wagner

@wagnerw

Steven-

Fair enough! I still don't think I could justify bringing an umbrella just for the sun, though…unless I was hiking through the desert. Still, it's primary use for me would be to prevent raindrops from hitting me, not sundrops.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools