Topic

Best next-to-skin layer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best next-to-skin layer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Something about the pleasure of solo hiking… :)

(j/k)

Sieto van der Heide

@sieto

Locale: The Netherlands

I've had really good results with wearing a Brynje Super-thermo l/s shirt (this is a mesh, or fishnet, type of shirt) with a very light shirt over that (to keep things decent because of the fishnet fabric).

The mesh-fabric allows your sweat to evaporate very quickly, in stead of wetting out your shirt.

The good thing is I wear it in warm climates (because sweat can evaporate), but also when its cold (the mesh fabric is very good at keeping a layer of warm air next-to-skin).

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

In any cooler/windy weather, say below 70F, or above tree line in even a little warmer weather, my wife and I use the lightest weight Ibex merino wool l/s tops with deep zips. They've lasted quite a long time with good care. Also wear their briefs in cooler weather. Would never use anything but merino in cooler conditions.

Also like how the wool helps regulate your body temp – so for example, if you take off your outer layer, you won't get that immediate chilling effect you get with synthetics.

The only issue we have with the wool base layers is that in hot weather, especially hot and humid, smooth synthetic feels better and cooler against the skin, and in that case we'll wear either a thin synthetic l/s t about the weight of capilene 1 or 2, or in very hot sunny weather, will wear Ex Officio Air Strip shirts (and my wife's Mountain Hardwear equivalent) as they offer great sun protection, lift the material off you and have vents for breezes.

Unfortunately no synthetic with odor treatment is going to work as well as a natural fiber with wool with built-in anti-bacterial properties. Eventually the treatments will wash out of the synthetics. I also find x-static fairly ineffective (and had this discussion with a friend of mine who sat on the board of the company that produces it, pointing out merino wool as major competition).

Keep in mind that all the lightweight wool blends are supposed to have some polyester woven in for strength.

Perhaps a thin wool/poly blend closer to 50/50 would work best all around, if anyone makes one. Anyone know of one?

An interesting garment for warm weather would be a synthetic garment with wool patches in the funky regions, say a synthetic top with wool armpit patches, or synthetic briefs with a wool area in the middle in the groin and back.

Ibex? Smartwool? Icebreaker? Anyone listening?

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Wayne. First off, thanks for posting!

The "best" is subjective. What conditions are you facing? What preferences do you have?

For three season backpacking, I think that a high quality, midweight, merino wool long john layer is the best. But for my day time hiking, I like shorts and a tshirt. Fabric doesn't matter, as long as it dries fast.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

For me ,

< 20F : my drizabone 270g/m2
    20F< <60F : my BPL 150g/m2 hoodie
    60F < : my silkbody silk/merinos blend.

and if there is hordes of mosquitoes like in Greenland last year, whatever would protect me from them !

Anonymous
    Inactive

"too often people turn catchy mantras into rigid dogmas."

Daily wisdom to live by and fit for Bartlett's, Proverbs and others….but also good to know that this company includes a contemporary sage.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

For me: smartwool, smartwool, smartwool.

Love it. Stays warm when damp, wicks perfectly, dries quickly, doesn't smell.

I don't use the smartwool underwear though. I go with Ex Officio.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

John — heh heh… thanks.

Zack — I like merino wool as well (I wrote about synthetic vs. merino wool socks up above). But a note of caution for anyone thinking about switching from synthetics to wool: try one before you order a bunch. While most people seem ecstatic about merino wool's comfort and performance — a few (like me) can't wear them because of the itch factor! I tried Smartwool and REI's store brand merino wool — and both itched. Not an intense itch, but a low level itch just enough to be noticeable — and annoying. Sigh.

Wayne Wagner

@wagnerw

Locale: NorCal

Well, ask a simple question…

I think the most amazing thing y'all have enlightened me to is the possibilities of wool! In a million years, I would've never thought to wear it when it is even slightly warm. I wear some in cool weather, but I have always thought it would be way too much for warmer weather.

Anyway, I am a three season backpacker and a heavy sweater when I am working. My number one concern has always been staying dry. If I can dry off fairly quickly in the evening, then I will likely not get cold in the evening. It sounds like synthetics are going to dry faster, but smell worse than wool. On the other hand, wool is natural and regulates temps better in general. It also deals with moisture better than I had originally thought, according to y'all.

Since I seem to have run out of next-to-skin layers, I will try a synthetic and a wool and see what I think. Y'all have given me tons of ideas for synthetics to try out; who makes the best lightweight wool?

Thanks again!

Anonymous
    Inactive

A short sleeve Microweight T-shirt by Smartwool under a loose-knit, light weight wool shirt in very cold weather. When hiking in the low 40s and 50s, I substitute an old REI synthetic mesh which doesn't seem to trap odors and is very comfortable with a wool shirt.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Odor be damned…no t-shirt is worth ~$60 to me.

It's either synthetic or cotton (for summer)."

+1 I'm mystified by this general community aversion to body odor. Can anybody give me a good explanation? People just about everywhere in the world except the US accept body odor as part of the human condition and get on with their lives. They certainly wouldn't buy a $60 Merino wool shirt because it doesn't retain B.O. if they found a cheaper synthetic that was otherwise functionally equivalent. What am I missing here?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Amazing how even the most obvious can still mystify some!! (heh heh)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Possibly a sense of smell:>)

For me, the main consideration is comfort and, of course, warmth.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Indeed. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Possibly a sense of smell:>)"

I guess. Probably an evolutionary adaptation to my own foulness. OTOH, it has sure saved me a lot of money down through the years, and I no longer feel the need to carry a bear canister. Maybe it's an adaptation that confers a survival advantage in a UL environment? ;-)

Then again, if no woman will come near me, how will I pass on the mutation to the next generation? ;-(

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Then again, if no woman will come near me, how will I pass on the mutation to the next generation? ;-("

Sperm banks. Just shower before you go…….

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Just shower before you go……."

Huh? Shower??? Arrgghhh!

Kai Larson
    BPL Member

@kailarson

I've used capilene, merino wool, poly-pro, and similar from Patagonia, Ibex, Icebreaker, Woolpower, Lowe, Mountain Hardwear, Kenyon, and others.

My current favorite, hands-down is Mammut's All-year long underwear. It is made from a combination of merino wool and microfiber, with more microfiber in the hotter-sweatier areas, and more merino in the colder areas. The fit is great, close-fitting and not baggy, but not restrictive either. Best long underwear I've ever used. It's available in heavier weights too, but I typically just go with a light base layer, so the All-Year weight is the only one I've used.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

For the price and the excellent wear I've used Cabela's polyester long johns for years for everythig from the 2-day, 100 mile Canadian Ski Marathon in the '80s to hunting to backcountry skiing.

They now have anti-bacterial material in some versions.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

Benjamin – itching

I did try them in the store first, and after using them both extensively, must say I far prefer the wool. I used to be the person who would get rashes and uncontrollable itching from wool sweaters back in the day. I even have some merino wool clothing in my normal wardrobe these days that has a small amount of itch factor.

However, in my experience, the smartwool brand clothing is itch free thankfully. I just can't say how much more I prefer it to the synthetic stuff. Both will work, but for me, the smartwool is just elegant: feels light and soft, stays dry, stays cool, and doesn't smell.

I had several different t-shirts I would always hike in that are Patagonia Capilene from several generational iterations. They are OK I guess, but in the hot Summer with high humidity, they are wet, heavy and sticky feeling to me, compared to the smartwool. In the winter, I was wearing them under my long sleeve smartwool baselayer for some reason, and the smartwool was able to wick away a lot of the moisture, but I still found them uncomfortable.

Price:
    I find it funny in an ironic sort of way, that price is such a concern for something that touches your skin constantly and is designed to keep your temperature in check (quite possibly the single most important factor when being outdoors).

The expense of this gear when going after that oz or even gram weight reduction is something I find more surprising than spending a little more on a t-shirt. It's just money I guess, and if you are chasing weight, comfort and functionality, you will, at some point be smacking your face right into this issue over and over. For me, the more surprising thing is how much comfort people are willing to sacrifice to shave off a small amount (to me) of total weight. I would much rather have a full tent and sleeping bag than a tarp and a quilt. It they were 5 pounds more, I would still opt for them. So, I guess a lot of this is subjective, but regardless people will spend money in ways that won't be in-line with the priorities of others.

For me, growing up, I had terrible gear. Very heavy, not functional. I used to do a ton of hiking, camping and backpacking with Scouts and family. We just couldn't afford anything nice, and the nice stuff back then was still very heavy and awkward. I used to hike in jeans, boots that weren't intended for hiking, and cotton. We didn't have Camelbaks. I survived. BUT, today, with the gear that I have, and being older, I find that the comfort level, body temperature regulation, functionality, and reduced fatigue from the gear makes all the difference. I feel better, go farther, enjoy it more, etc., and all as a result of nice gear. Which, guess what, costs money. ;)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Whatever you do, don't go hiking in a $60 shirt and then wear cheap cotton boxer briefs on the bottom. It might seem ridiculous to spend a lot on underwear, but if you're sweating hard when you hike, then cotton underwear is going to be damp for many hours around camp. Getting your underwear right is probably more important than your t-shirt.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

For tops depending on weather in no particular order

– Calipene (different weights and used the least)

– BPL Merino Hoody (awesome in many conditions)

– Rail Riders Eco-Speed T is often my only layer in hot weather other than a wind shirt.

– Rail Riders Eco-Mesh shirt is often my only hiking layer for temperature swings from 50F-100F and a jacket for night.

– Mountain Hard Wear Cliffer LS T (15% wool / 85% poly). I bought this last year and used it on several trips during the winter. 5 oz and it is a great piece of gear. I really, really like this shirt!!

Bottoms

– Ex Officio box brief. I used this almost 100% of the time.

– Calipene (different weights, do not use a lot).

– Several weights of Schoeller material pants are often my only layer other than the briefs in colder weather.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools