Topic

Rapids, Wolves, and Winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Rapids, Wolves, and Winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Rapids, Wolves, and Winter

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This appears to be a very exciting adventure that I would like to read more about. It would be nice to read a follow-on article that lists each persons pack contents and how each item faired in the conditions you experienced. For example where did the leak in the drysuit occur and how did you repair it while in the field?

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I thought this was a great article with beautiful pictures of places that many of us can only dream of seeing in the dead of winter. I second the report concerning what gear worked well or as advertised and what didn't live up to your expectations.

I would also like to point out that it's somewhat ambiguous to say 26,428 hunting licenses were issued for wolves in Idaho last season. According to this article (http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2010/04/inaugural-idaho-wolf-hunt-ends) and a couple others I dredged up only 185 were shot out of a maximum of 220.

I suppose it was first come first serve after you bought in. Also, the article says 31,393 tags were sold (I'm assuming the BPL article was submitted before the season ended) and that there are only around 1700 wolves in the region. However, in the process selling these tags they said $497,304 were raised for wildlife conservation.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Awesome trip. I want a packraft so bad.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

A wonderful report Forrest, thank you.

I love the Church. I did a ski traverse of about 90 miles across it in 1991 that included a hearty swim of the M Fk.. An amazing and quiet place in the winter.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

+1 Ryan J / Frank Church

An amazing place anytime of the year!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

The timing of this article couldn't have been any better as I've been mapping and researching the Frank Church for the past month with plans to explore a route in the coming year. Great photos, words, and attitude. Thanks!

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Great trip report and photos, guys. For those who haven't seen them yet, check out the videos by Forrest including one of Andy Skurka skiing through Alaska.

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Thanks Forrest, way to prove a point. I know a lot of people appreciate how you and Winter Wildlands Alliance works to protect our winter backcountry solitude and wolves.

Forrest G McCarthy
    BPL Member

@forrestmccarthy

Locale: Planet Earth

It was a great trip that I hope to do again next winter.

You can also watch the video on youtube:

YouTube video

Raymond Knechtel

@nuke

EDIT: BPL pointed out that they also have done articles on lightwight rifles so I need to ease up a bit. Looking things over a little better they do cover both sides of issues well.

It's a well written article and I agree on the wilderness issues.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

Wonderful photos and article. What a beautiful area!

However, I was disappointed to hear about the snowmobiles being there. When will manufacturers cut down on the noise and pollution produced by snowmobiles, jet skis, and other similar vehicles? If the manufacturers can't or won't, then these things should be banned from wilderness areas.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I read an article about packrafting in Winter with a couple of lines about wolves, not an article about wolves with a couple of lines about packrafting. Shrugs.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"I read an article about packrafting in Winter with a couple of lines about wolves, not an article about wolves with a couple of lines about packrafting. Shrugs."

I read an article about LIGHTWEIGHT packrafting AND skiing in winter, with a couple of lines about wolves. I have no opinions about the wolves, so it's not something that bothers me to have mentioned.

I agree with the anti-snowmobile sentiment. They have detracted from many otherwise really peaceful skiing trips in the Yellowstone area where they seem to be like a plague. Can't they make quieter and cleaner electric vehicles??? It also strikes me as strange than an area would be banned from helicopters, but not other noisy motorised machines???

Unknown abc

@edude

"However, I was disappointed to hear about the snowmobiles being there. When will manufacturers cut down on the noise and pollution produced by snowmobiles, jet skis, and other similar vehicles? If the manufacturers can't or won't, then these things should be banned from wilderness areas."

Great, just what we need, even more government regulations. No thank you.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

"Great, just what we need, even more government regulations. No thank you."

Umm, government regulation is often the only thing keeping wilderness areas as wilderness. It's not always a bad thing IMHO.

Raymond Knechtel

@nuke

"If the manufacturers can't or won't, then these things should be banned from wilderness areas."

They are banned from wilderness areas.

Unknown abc

@edude

"Umm, government regulation is often the only thing keeping wilderness areas as wilderness. It's not always a bad thing IMHO."

I don't argue with that. I am merely pointing out that we do not need any more government regulation than there is already.

And I don't think that a few ATVs are going to obliterate the environment with their "pollution and noise". Give it a rest please. And I don't think that that should be high on the government's list of priorities right now.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

"They are banned from wilderness areas."

Glad to hear it.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Raymond, you'll soon find that BPL is a bit more than JUST backpacking. Whether the author's comments were one sided or not, BPL is a communal arena focused on the sharing of ideas. Sometimes polarizing comments are made, and a discussion ensues. A lot of good information (and some bad) can be extruded from these discussions, articles, forums, trip reports, etc… That's how I see it at least.

You should have been here for the Carbon flame wars, gun debates, immigration (ongoing), and many more. Often these have little to do with backpacking, but they have EVERYTHING to do with the world we live in, and that is also important. You'll find some incredibly intelligent and well-versed people here, as well as some, er, others. Probably where I'd be lumped! I usually stay out of those types of intense debates, but they can be entertaining and informative to read.

Its perfectly reasonable, IMHO, to want to get your backpacking information from BPL, and your current events/news/politics from other sources. However, BPL members and guests just have to sift through what they want to read and what they don't. The lay of the land, again, IMO.

Forrest, these types of adventures are the kind I wish I could get into!

@ Lynn- "Can't they make quieter and cleaner electric vehicles???"

They can, but what about the poor, poor oil companies that run, um, the world? Now, how would implementing technology–technology we have–that disrupts the profits of oil companies be a positive force in the market and environment? I mean, look at BP. Their market shares are down, what, 40%? I can only feel for those unfortunate oil executives.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I moved into my neighborhood to live in my house, not to listen to my neighbors' children. I understand the need for parents to let their children outside at some point, but I do not want to actually see or hear the children.

What? They were here first! They shouldn't all change to suit my personal preferences! Geez.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Doug, I believe you were a bit more succinct than I was.

Raymond Knechtel

@nuke

Travis, I understand what your saying. I think stuff in articles (apporved by BPL staff) should be held to a higher standard then what we find in the forums. What I take objection to are the pro-wolf and what I take as anti-hunting comments that don't add any value to the BPL aspect of the article. The wolf issue is a big concern to me and IMHO is on the verge of hurting something I love to do even more then backpacking.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Raymond, thank you for clarifying your objections. Not to sound like a "middle of the road" guy, but I stay out of hunting debates because while I personally don't hunt, I have no objection to others doing it, provided it is done responsibly, legally, and in a manner that won't hurt specific animal populations, which probably falls under "responsibly."

But, I digress. This thread is really Forrest's, so I'd rather not clog up his thread with a hunting debate.

Mike Porco
    BPL Member

@mporco

Locale: GYE

Forrest and Moe: I applaud your article and your trip, but mostly I am inspired by your motives: to preserve our wilderness.

Under the BPL logo, it states "Pack less. Be More." Too often we are consumed with the aspect of packing less. We obsess over the lightest tarp or the best tent stakes, but these obsessions cause us to lose sight of the larger picture. They cause us to forget to be more.

Fostering the awareness of environmental issues – whether they be motorized vehicle use, wolf hunts, or otherwise – should be an important aspect of this community. If we do not protect our remaining wild places then backpacking light will quickly become a moot topic. Yes, these issues are controversial, but they are the ones that should receive our focus.

Thank you Forrest, Moe, and the BPL staff for telling this story.

Ray – just because someone is against wolf hunts does not mean they are anti-hunting.

Forrest – did you see/hear any wolf (or other notable wildlife) sign on your trip?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools