Topic

Which balaclava do you use and why?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which balaclava do you use and why?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Josh Greninger

@thinkpol

What material is it made of and how much does it weigh? What temp range have you comfortably worn it in? Have you compared it to other balaclavas?

I'm looking at the Outdoor Research Wind Pro right now:
    http://www.skdtac.com/Outdoor_Research_Wind_Pro_Balaclava_p/orx.109.htm?1=1&CartID=0
    Anyone have experience with this product?

That site says its 2.9oz which seems a bit high.
    Is the general consensus that Polartec Power Stretch is the best material for balaclavas? (non high-loft)

Thanks!

Josh Greninger

@thinkpol

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i have the R1 balaclava and really like it. it's light as any other on the market, polartec for maximum warmth and flexibility, and can be worn as a hat, neck gaiter, hood, or full mask.

recommended

Josh Greninger

@thinkpol

Before reading your post I scoured the net and couldn't find it! :(

I'm guessing they're not available right now because its summer?
    Any idea where I could find one?

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I use the mountain hardwear power stretch balaclava. I plan on using it on a Mt. Shasta hike in a week and a half. Don't know the low I've taken it down to, but it has worked great. Weighs 2 ounces on my scale.

Josh Greninger

@thinkpol

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I also use the MH Powerstretch balaclava. It's under 2 ounces on my scale, the stretch makes it fit well, and it's fuzzy and warm on the inside.

It also makes a nice pillowcase stretched over my clothing stuff sack.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

This is it here.I'm thinking it replaced the butter balaclava. Those reviews are a few years old.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

RHO Balaclava

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

"I also use the MH Powerstretch balaclava. It's under 2 ounces on my scale, the stretch makes it fit well, and it's fuzzy and warm on the inside. It also makes a nice pillowcase stretched over my clothing stuff sack."

+1 to all of that.

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

+1 on the MH Powerstretch Balaclava. It weighs 1.5oz on my scale. I bought a MH Butter recently for my son thinking I was buying the Powerstretch. The butter is thinner and not as fuzzy and warm as the Powerstretch. Unfortunately, I didn't weight the Butter before returning it. I wear it as a balaclava while sleeping and fold it up to a hat in the morning.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I also use the MH Powerstretch balaclava"

+1 Great piece of gear.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools