Topic

Bonding/gluing silnylon–what actually works?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bonding/gluing silnylon–what actually works?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

So, what glue actually works on silnylon?

I tried gluing a piece of velcro to silnylon with GE Silicone II sealant, and it just peeled right off the silnylon.

Is the "GE Silicone Glue" a different product altogether?

Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

Hi, I'm actually searching for the right adhesive for silnylon as well. So, my suggestions are not from experience, just some online searching. It might be worth it to wipe the silnylon clean and try that same sealant again. Here are some that I would like to try:

Elastosil N199, they make lots of silicone products http://www.wacker.com/cms/en/products-markets/products/product.jsp?product=9142

Liquid Nails 207, possibly more available than Elastosil http://www.liquidnails.com/products/product.jsp?productId=74

Dow 3631, which seems to be designed for fabrics, http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?R=950EN

thanks to anyone who has any info on this topic!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Try N10 from Wacker as well.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sealant is not an adhesive. Try a silicone adhesive sealant. In with the caulks. GE Silicone Glue is the right track to follow. Take a look at the material section again in the article. Wording in the first paragraph or two is misleading where he says GE Silicone ll http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog-laminating-silicone-impregnated-fabrics.html

GE Silicone II glue/sealant. I’m sure there are generic versions of this product, but I have not tried them. VERY IMPORTANT – test the glue with fabric scraps first or buy a fresh tube for every project. I don’t know why, but old product sometimes does not cure in this application.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

This is the "he" mentionined in Ken's reply concurring
    that the wording could be confusing. However, as can he seen here, the manufacturer's name for the product is GE Silicone Sealant II. I dithered over the wording because they do also sell silicone caulk and also tub & shower sealant products … the chances for confusion are inherent.

Regarding the OP's question … silicone based glues are the only thing I know of that adheres well to silicone impregnated fabrics. However, they are so-so about adhesion to other materials.

But one could sew velcro to a slightly larger scrap of silnylon and glue the scrap in place.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking of rigging up a bug net under a tarp, and I don't want to start putting holes in the canopy–hence the search for a silnylon glue.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks Jim for the clarification!

rick mccoll

@rgmccoll

Locale: East Tennessee

Travis, did you ever find something satisfactory?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Well I checked out a tube of Wacker N10 at this website:

N10

Looks like a little over $300 a tube. Several questions come to mind.

(1) Is that a good price?

(2) Do you think I could get a discount if I bought a case?

(3) What is the scale of the photo? Will the tube fit into my pickup?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I assumed this price was in dollars but looks like I'm wrong.

Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

Daryl,

Wacker is a German company, that shop you linked is in Estonia, and you're in the northwest. Neither should you have to pay that much, or ship it that far!

Try to contact Wacker's North American HQ, which happens to be right around the corner from me:
    3301 Sutton Road
    Adrian, MI 49221-9335
    (517) 264-8500
    wacker.com‎

I'm sure they can tell you who distributes or uses their products, and if you're lucky, they might even get you a sample.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

You can also use Elastosil E43 or E199 to glue your silnylon

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

So I stumbled upon one of my old threads today and decided to follow up. I contacted Wacker and they replied within an hour. Their recommendation for gluing silnylon was Elastosil E 952, which is the U.S. version of Elastosil E 43.

I asked them about purchasing this in small quantities and they said their policy was to sell only to companies and not individuals. Liability issues cited.

Does anyone have access to Elastosil?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools