Topic

reason to change footwear for JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion reason to change footwear for JMT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Randy McDowell
    BPL Member

@rmcdowell

Opinions on whether an early July (July 4) start on the JMT might require a change from trail runners to an over the ankle boot.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

You'll be fine in trail runners. By July, the snow should be soft enough that you won't have to worry about kicking in steps. If you wear boots, they're going to be full of water after every creek crossing–trail runners will dry much faster.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

Hi, Randy,

I'm going north to south starting a week after you. Should be the trip of a lifetime!

My daughter and I were on the section between Red's Meadow and Silver Pass last year, June 28-July 1. This year's snowfall has been slightly heavier than last year's. The area around Silver Pass was somewhat snowy, but nothing major. My daughter got through the snow in pajama pants and Vans, believe it or not! You're going to get wet no matter what, both from stream crossings and, to a lesser extent, from snow on high passes. Just make sure to wear wool socks, not cotton.

-Ben

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools