Topic

Darn odd-ball feet! Help!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Darn odd-ball feet! Help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

So I have a bit of a problem getting a good fit for my shoes. My left foot is bigger than my right (rather common). Unfortunately it seems that my left foot also has a higher volume.

I wear a size 11 shoe to accommodate the length of my foot. In this size my left shoe fits great but my right shoe is too big and causes too much heal drift / movement. I wear Salomon trail runners and the heel of my right foot move so much (despite lacing tighter) that my foot rubs on the heel cup and blisters after only four miles of hiking. :( Talk about a doulbe wammy.

Anyone have any advice to fix this problem?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Why don't you wear one consistent size of shoes, but then make the adjustment with different sock combinations? As an example, wear a medium thick sock on one foot and a heavy sock on the other.

–B.G.–

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

Wear an extra sock on the smaller foot. My right foot is about a half-size smaller than the left. Ordinarily, I buy shoes to fit the larger foot and don't have problems. But occasionally I end up with excess slippage in the small foot. If so, I just wear an extra sock liner on the small foot (my ordinary hiking socks are just a pair of sock liners anyway). This has worked well for me.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Chad,

Probably the answer you do not want to hear…

If there is a substantial difference in shoe sizes, maybe the best solution is to buy two pairs of shoes with proper sizing for each foot.

Wearing different size socks does not sound like an optimal solution, if there is that much of a variation in shoe sizes. In hot weather, I would not want to wear an extra think sock. and visa versa for cold weather.

I am fortunate, to have the same size feet. Salomons are perfect fitting shoes for me. I can wear different thickness of socks for varying conditions, and lacing up the shoe provides a perfect fit. I have never gotten a blister with either of my Solomons.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Yeah I thought of wearing two different sized shoes however I have a wide for-foot on my right foot and need the extra length to my pinky toe won't slide forward and rub. Even when I wear a size 10.5 (I currently wear an 11)on my right foot my pinky rubs and I get blisters after 112-15 miles.

I was told by a podiatrist that I was wearing shoes that where too small and suggested I go a half size. I wonder if my right foot just has a lower volume (correct term?) and this is causing my foot to slide around too much. Now that I think about it this could be the case because even in the 10.5 shoes I had to lace my right foot tight to keep it from sliding around (not very successfully I might add).

Dear god when will I find the right shoe!

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

As noted above, the soluiton may be two pairs of boots.

One of my BFF resorted to that.. Her left boot is a 9 . and the right shoe is an 8.5 .. Same brand / model . .just differnt sizes..

Works Perfect !!! ( albeit , expensive)

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Yeah I think I'll try out (in the store) doing the double sizes, insertes to take up volume, and also the Salomon XA Pro Ultra M+ with the wider size.

Who knows I may get lucky and not have to buy two pairs of shoes!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

You might try some kind of heel insert. I found some online called Heel Protectors. http://www.footsmart.com/p-gel-heel-protectors-set-of-4-40044.aspx They don't get a very good review, but you might be able to make your own from the picture to see if something like that might help.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Inov-8 offer an extra flat insole that reduces the shoe volume.

I also have a pair of Salomons and unevenly sized feet. I was able to stretch the shoe on my bigger feet using a hairdryer and stuffing it with socks. I also find that the lacing on Salomons is not good in terms of reducing heel rub. When this is a problem. I find this set up to be much better. http://www.inov-8.com/Lacing.asp?L=26&LID=1. As you can get them really tight at the top, but not so tight on the rest of the shoe.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks for all the info people! I will have to mess around with a few ideas and post up what worked (hopefully!) for me!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Buy the size of shoe needed for the larger foot. Don't hesitate about this.

Then try adding a thicker sock and/or a thick after-market inner sole on the shoe for the smaller foot.

Cheers

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Roger,

Don't worry, I will always buy shoes for the larger foot.

Would you have any recomendations for insoles that would help me out?

Thanks for all your help!

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Piper –

I was actually thinking about creating something like that for my heel. I wonder if a thin-light pad material would work.

Jason-

Thanks for the link! I may try adding laces to my current Salomon’s and see how that helps.

Who knows I may have to replace the laces, add an insole, AND build a heel cup! Once I get it figured out though I will be very happy and it will be worth all the work!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Chad

I have very little experience with after-market insoles. I find the ones which come with the shoes are usually fine for me.

A big name in the game is Superfeet, but I have no experience with them. Others do. Opinions vary … :-)

I have a pair of New Balance 'Pressure Relief' insoles on trial. Strange things, but a thick heel and not uncomfortable. Not expensive.

I think you may have a some trial&error ahead, but that's life (and fun?) :-)

Btw, I do like the New Balance MT876OR shoes. Review coming soon.

Cheers

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

You're darn right Roger! Now I have an excuse to buy three new pairs of shoes!

'But honey, I have to keep my feet healthy!'

'Oh that, those are the pices of my last pair of shoes, they didn't work out.'

'Well babe I'm off to the gear shop to get another pair . . .'

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I'd try searching around for a different shoe. My feet are 1 and a half sizes different. That's huge. I find shoes that hold me feet well due to their shape and lacing system, they work even if I have 1 plus inches in front of my smaller foot.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Jack,

What brand of shoe do you use?

I'm looking for a dirrent shoe but so far Salomon and Keen fit the best. I don't actually have wide feet but I do have a wide toebox.

Invo-8: Haven't tried yet
    New Ballance: Poor heal fit for me on both feet
    Merril: Too narrow in the toebox
    Aslo: Too narrow in the toebox
    Vasgue: Too narrow in the toebox
    Keen: Heel drift issue on right foot
    Salomon: Heel drift issue on right foot.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

If you go to a specialty running store, or ski shop, they have these dense rubber mid soles that actually fit under the insole and take up volume, which could help the fit of your smaller foot. They also make heel wedges out of the same material, which could help if you need less heel volume, but more space for your toes.

I also have slightly different sized feet, but usually lacing takes care of it.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Now that / is a great bit of information!

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Chad, I was thinking you should probably check with a ski shop first. I used to be a boot fitter at a shop, and as I recalled we were always getting these from the ski department. (they'll probably have some time on their hands right now)

call ahead at least.

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

Chad – I have the exact same problem. In fact I read to see which of your feet is larger so we could maybe work a deal but sadly my L foot is my biggie too.

To date, the shoe that works best for me are Brooks Cascadias. Not perfect but better than most. Enough room for pinkie toes.

I have also tried having a pair of custom shoes made by Hersey. This has been a miserable experience to date. Two tries that were way off and another that's been "on the way" for months.

My rationale up front was that $500 for shoes with a 5 year life expectancy, including a mold, is a lot cheaper than cycling thru $100 trail shoes that don't really fit. I still like the rationale – just wouldn't recommend Hersey at this point :(

I'd be REALLY careful about heel wedges…they can really mess up your biomechanics and led to all kinds of unintended consequences.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks for the info John.

I'm in agreement with you about using heel inserts. I think it would simply mess up my walking too much.

I'm going to try removing the bungee laces from my Salomon’s and replace them with normal laces. I've also taken an old foam foot-bed and cut it into a heel cup.

I'm hopeful that the change in lacing and the heel cup will help solve this issue.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I'm sure I saw something about cutting up some very thin foam to make extra padding around the INSIDES of the heel. I think it had to be glued to the inside of the shoe to keep it in place. It might be worth experimenting with.

Cheers

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks Roger! I am in fact working on the insole padding thing right now. Ironically the original inserts that came with my Solomon’s seem to work great for this.

I believe I will have to keep the padding positioned above the heel itself or my entire foot will be slid too far forward.

Anyone have some recommendations for glue that I could use to attach this padding to the inside of my shoe?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools