Topic

First Ascent BC-200, Rab Demand Pull-on

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) First Ascent BC-200, Rab Demand Pull-on

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Ettestad
    BPL Member

@ettestad

Just wondering if anyone has experience with either of these jackets yet (or are you like me and waiting for someone else to buy it and try it first). I've been checking the older posts and see a lot of support for the ID Thru Hiker and the Rab Momentum. Anyone figure out what kind of waterproof membrane is used in the BC-200 as it doesn't seem to be eVent?

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I've been looking at the new BC-200 too. I like the fact that it's so light at 11 ounces. It's not made of eVent, but a product that has fairly close waterproof/breathable numbers.

WATERPROOF AND BREATHABLE

"3-layer fabric with 20K/25K WeatherEdge® Pro technology and StormRepel™ durable water-repellent (DWR) finish

The best weather protection. Lighter. Stronger. For strenuous activity in extreme conditions. The first number in its 20,000/25,000 rating is the waterproofness: The fabric can withstand 20,000 mm of water suspended over its surface before moisture seeps through. The second number shows its breathability: In 24 hours, it allows 25,000 grams of water vapor to escape per square meter of fabric.

THERMAWELD™ CONSTRUCTION Rather than being sewn, the seams in this garment are welded for the lightest, most weatherproof and breathable performance. Our ThermaWeld construction makes this piece ideal for alpine sports, hiking and anytime when ultralight rain protection is needed."

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Although I don't have experience with that specific Rab jacket, I do have the Rab Alpine Latok jacket and it's fantastic! EVent is as breathable as advertised. I doubt you could go wrong with any Rab gear. I own the aforementioned jacket, a pair of Rab mountaineering pants, Rab gaiters and a pair of Rab gloves and all them are great quality and I wouldn't trade them for any other similar gear.

My friend owns the BC-200 and likes it a lot. I borrowed it last weekend and went for a small hike and although it breathes nicely, it's not as good as some option. I believe their fabric is their own propriety fabric. I'm not sure it has a name. I think the BC-200 is going for around $100. It's hard to go wrong for that price!

Hope that helps a little.

Sieto van der Heide

@sieto

Locale: The Netherlands

I own both the Rab Demand pull-on (eVent) and the Rab Alpine pull-on (Pertex Equilibrium). Both are nice jackets, but they have in common that they are close-fitting around the shoulders. I also own a Rab Drillium, which doesn't have that 'feature', so it seems to be a thing wth the Rab pull-on design.

Paul Ettestad
    BPL Member

@ettestad

Thanks for the insights. I ordered a Rab Demand Pull-on in the XXL size as I normally wear XL and have seen other posts on Rab jackets recommending to order up one size, especially if you are going to layer. I look forward to seeing how breathable an eVent jacket can be.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools