Topic

Aarn Pack Mountain Magic 55 L

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Aarn Pack Mountain Magic 55 L

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Warren Crow
    BPL Member

@crowculbertson

Locale: Alabama

The aarnpack pics of the Mountain Magic 55 hipbelt look like a simple 1" strap. I read a review supplied from their web page on their FF which has a substantial hipbelt.

It is really hard to tell what each pack waist belt looks like.

If you could share that for the MM55 that would be ideal.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

The waistbelt on the Mountain Magic 55 has a single buckle at the front but 2 straps in a "V" shape going back to the frame. The pockets are also attached to another strap connected above the hipbelt points on the pack. Some photos and comments of the pack in use can be found Aarn Packs Scroll down to see photos of the MM 33.

There is a rear mesh pocket which I use to carry a windshirt, windpants and other small items, there is also pockets on the front of the balance pockets.

The Feartherlite Freedom has what could be described as a more normal hipbelt, but is shaped better than some I have used in the past.

Hope this helps

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Guys, weekend was rained out so I only got to use the pack for a couple of hours, so I have posted pics and given provided comments and will write a proper review when I have time to really test it out.

Action Shot

Side view

Conus Strap

This is a photo of the 'conus' strap which you can see me wearing in an earlier photo. This strap replaces the normal sternum strap, and I find it works much better, keeping the pack close to the back and removing one more moving part (which I find always breaks or gets lost)

V Flow at top of bag

Above is the 'V Flow System' which frees your shoulder movements which I also found to work very well.

Hip belt without balance pockets

Above is an inside view of the hipbelt without the balance pockets. The balance pockets are very easily removed (see pic below). Although this belt does not have padding, which at first I thought would pose a problem, the ability to 'dual adjust' at top and bottom meant that I carrying it was comfortable without the balance pockets whilst hiking. This may or may not be a concern when doing other activities however as I felt a little bit of a rub against my hips whilst riding with it on my mountain bike. This is just a preliminary observation however and would need to be tested further.

with balance pockets

Here is a view of the balance pocket attachments at the bottom. The balance pockets simply velcro onto the hip belt. They are easy to remove and also easy to add to other packs with very little modification (I easily added a pair to my mariposa plus as proof of concept).

removable dry liner for main bag

Above is a pic of the removable dry bag that comes standard. This can be completely removed and seems to be a handy feature

balance pocket dry bags

Each of the pockets also have dry bags

top view

Here is a top view of the pack

straps, showing balance pocket clips

Finally a quick shot of the top straps and 'matrix mesh' which I have found comfortable so far.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Great pictures Jeremy, I find the matrix mesh mesh very comfortable. Sorry to hear that your trip was affected by rain, I can assure you that the MM 55 is waterproof having used it on a number of wet trips.

Enjoy

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Jeremy, thank you very much for the pics. Actually, having just seen the fromt of the pack for the first time, I was surprised as I didn't realize it was a drybag style.

I have one clarification request. It appears as though it is essentially a drybag that is placed into a mesh pocket and then held in place by the straps. Correct?

If so, can I assume that one could store wet gear between the bag and the mesh? It looks like you have something stored in that manner in the 9th photo from the top, but just want to verify. That would make this pack even more attractive.

Also, the balance pockets appear to just have the small drybags inside a larger pouch. Does any of the drybag material show through like it does on the main bag or is it fully enclosed. basically, do I have to use the drybags on the balance pockets? and are there little mesh pockets on the front of the balance pockets.

Sorry for all the questions, but the Aarn website doesn't cover any of this and I'm on the fence as to whether I want to try one of these out for this winter.

Thomas Johnson
    BPL Member

@tjjjohnson

I have a feather lite freedom. Really liking it for general walking.

Best points:
    More balanced feeling.
    Easy access to gear in front pockets while on the go.
    No pressure on the collar bone.

Worst points:
    Front pockets bounce around too much for running.
    Front pockets get in the way a bit when going up really steep stuff.

@Ike
    Can you explain more on how you reduced bounce with the zip tie? Also how did you achieve your half a pound of weight reduction?

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Steven, to answer a few of your questions…

"It appears as though it is essentially a drybag that is placed into a mesh pocket and then held in place by the straps. Correct?"

Not really, without the dry bag it is a pack in its own right (see below) so you could take the orange dry bag out and you will still have a pack body (see pics).

"If so, can I assume that one could store wet gear between the bag and the mesh? It looks like you have something stored in that manner in the 9th photo from the top, but just want to verify"

I just had a check and indeed you could store something between the pack and the mesh, it may compromise the comfort or breathability of the matrix mesh but I am not sure. You could also put cool water behind the mesh to cool you down, but I have not tried this.

"Also, the balance pockets appear to just have the small drybags inside a larger pouch. Does any of the drybag material show through like it does on the main bag or is it fully enclosed. basically, do I have to use the drybags on the balance pockets? and are there little mesh pockets on the front of the balance pockets."

Indeed that is the case, the front pockets are sturdy little bags with dry bags inside and yes they are mesh pockets on the front (see picture), I find these pretty handy and have a little clip so you can attach a camera without worrying about it going missing.

front bags

front bags

front dry bags

front dry bags

front bags from top

front bags from top

main dry bag

Main dry bag
    Main dry bag 2

Main dry bag 2

inside of main bag without dri bag

inside of main bag without dri bag – you can also see one of the removable stays at the bottom of the pack. This pack has heaps of removable aluminium stays scattered throughout the pack. I am not about the mechanics of these and how they operate, but it looks like there has been alot of thought put into them.

Also, thanks for the condolences Roger, it still ended up being a fun trip and I would have liked to have test out the MM55's waterproofness but my hiking partners did not (believe it or not)

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Jeremy, Big THANKS for the explanation and photos. I now understand. I think the similar color of the dry-bags and the pack fabric was throwing me off. I thought the dry bag on the main compartment attached in a similar manner as the ULA Epic pack. Definitely not the case.

This post will be a great help for those interested in the pack. Aarn, if you're out there, add some more photos to your website.

Iver Ahlmann

@iverahlmann

Aarn has discontinued the MM44 (32+12) and MM55 (37+18) bodypacks and released the MM50 (38+12).

Have they combined the backpack of the MM55 with the front pockets of the MM44? Or is the MM50 packpack an improved version of the MM55 packpack?

I have the choice between buying a MM50 and MM44 so I would very much appreciate any input.

Thanks

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Iver,

If you drop Aarn an email he will help you out.

Cheers,

Stephen

Vu H
    BPL Member

@vuddha729

I also use Aarn packs. I have the Mountain Magic 55, Featherlite Freedom, and Peak Aspiration. They are excellent. I think reducing the balance pockets on the MM to 12 is a good idea, as I feel the 18L balance pockets are slightly large.

In any case, if anyone is worried about the performance of Aarn packs, don't be! Knowing how they fit and function, I'd happily buy them without seeing them in person first.

Aarn replies promptly to emails and provides more pics if you need.

Alexander Tearus
    Spectator

@tearus

Hello,

After trying one of these on I am attempting to choose between a ULA Circuit and a Featherlite Freedom. Do you think the 55oz weight of the freedom(without the body packs) is worth the extra 15 oz over the ULA Circuit? Without the body packs the suspension still felt awesome. I felt like I could box someone while wearing the pack.

I suppose this subjective and a matter of opinion, but maybe someone could shed some insight/advice.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have both the ULA Circuit and the Aarn FF.
    I prefer to use the Aarn because apart from the balance I like how I can get stuff in and out of those pockets as I walk or just standing there without having to take the pack off.
    That is for drinks,food,hat,gloves,torch,GPS,Buff and even my rain jacket and rain pants. (ready to be used)

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

I've got a ULA Circuit and an Aarn Mountain Magic 55. The suspension in the Aarn pack is so much better that I can carry more net weight in it than in the Circuit, even though the Aarn is much heavier. Of course, that may not be exactly in line with the BPL ethos…

Anyhow, the Aarn pack has been a godsend for me in allowing me to continue hiking despite some back issues that had me thinking I'd be off the trail for an extended period. I still use the Circuit from time to time when I'm loaded very lightly, but the Aarn is my go-to pack. I'd buy another.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools