Topic

osprey exos 61 L

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) osprey exos 61 L

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    H o

@skandia

I really like the osprey exos 61 pack, but I cant understand the measuring method they use to measure torso length,if I measure like they say my torso is 32inch / 81cm ,and their large model which is 20inch / 51cm,now that model is not large then or my measuring is way off ,
    I am 79.5 inches / 202cm tall

I really like this pack from reviews but have no shops close to test it,should I gamble and get it?.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Remeasure. I seriously doubt you have a 32" torso. Unless you have 20" legs. lol! I'm 75" tall with a 22-23" torso. You are very tall. It's a problem at times isn't it?

William Glazer

@ukulelebill

Locale: Northeast Ohio

I worked in a shop that fit Osprey packs during 2008-2009 (including the Exos line). My guess is you're measuring wrong–but I think I see why. For the most part all backpack companies use the same method to measure the torso in inches–from the 7th (C7) vertebrae to the iliac crest (top of hip bones). This is described just okay (imo) and pictured not so good (again-imo). In their photo, the measure on Osprey's pack looks to start well at the 7th vertebrae but looks to extend 3 inches below the waist of the pants. Don't pay attention to your pant's waist line at all. To find the iliac crest locate the side seam of your pants, slowly move your fingers straight upwards feeling the hip bone as you go, when you finally reach the top of the bone along the side of your body, then you've found the iliac crest. Draw an imaginary line straight across to your spine–that is the point to complete your measurement along the spine from the C7.
    This may not matter for you because of your height, many UL packs have little or no torso length adjustment (read this to say "It either fits you or it doesn't). Also the ratio between torso length and hipbelt size is prefixed on the Exos packs (meaning all Medium torso lengths have medium hipbelts, smalls have smalls, etc). Now you being 6'7 1/2", I would definitely order from a place with a good return policy. I wouldn't be surprised to find out your torso was 23" or 24".
    Good Luck. :)

Happy Trails,
    Ukulele Bill

H o

@skandia

ok I remeasured but first I googled "iliac crest" and saw some skeleton with arrows to point me closer to it, and I had my buddy measure while I was diggin in right at the top .
    He measured from the prominent ball sticking out in the neck to the center where I dug in with my hands to feel and he got
    64 cm , and measured arround aswell,having a bit of a belly it measured 106 cm (waist is 101)

H o

@skandia

I do have to add I am born with an extra vertebrae

H o

@skandia

sorry did not see that it was a question.
    Yes it is kind of problem ,tents,sleeping bags,pads,clothes,doorways- are some of them . Still looking for a good summer bag, I recently purchased a lunar duo tent and it fits me good

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Ah, guys, the Osprey web site mentions a 46 and a 58, but I can't see a 61.
    ?????

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Roger,
    Yeah, that thread title threw me off for a second also. In the "Exos 58" series, the small is listed at 55 L, the medium at 58 L, and the large at 61 L. So, to "average" the packs, Osprey decided to call the biggest brother the "58."

Apparently, the OP has a size Large, which would "technically" put it at 61 L.

Indeed, I've never heard it called the "61" before either!

I think I need to add a few more quotations to this post as well…." " " " " " "

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Travis

Ah so. A Large – OK.
    Mind you, when I measured the Osprey Exos 58 Medium according to the ASTM standard I got 50 L, not 58 L. Hi Hum.

Cheers

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Interesting. Makes you wonder (yet again) how companies come up with some of their specs. Bag ratings, performance claims, pack sizes….

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Which is why the Europeans came up with the new rigorous EN standard for sleeping bags.

Cheers

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

nm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools