Topic

Campground Near Crater Lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Campground Near Crater Lake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    frank martin
    BPL Member

@sriprank

Locale: NORCAL

I'm driving up from Bay Area to Crater Lake Friday June 4th.

Wondering if anyone had any campgrounds suggestions to crash for the night between K-Falls and Crater Lake.

Our route will be 5 to 97 to 62. Looking not to get too far off track.

thanks
    frank

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Here are your choices as far as I know. We camped at Diamond Lake about 10 years ago and some sites were good for tents right on the lake rim. It would be great if you can report on what you end up choosing.
    http://www.nps.gov/archive/crla/brochures/local.htm

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

+1 – Diamond Lake…. gorgeous ……

frank martin
    BPL Member

@sriprank

Thanks for all the help.

Looks like we will dine in K-Falls and camp at Jackson Kimball State Recreation Site.

I think this will be the easiest since we are coming in from the South.

thanks again.

frank martin
    BPL Member

@sriprank

I ended up staying at Jackson Kimball State Park.

It is at the headwaters of the Wood River.

Coming from K-Falls on 62 it is about 4.5 miles off the road and just S of Fort Klamath. However heading out take the other road Dixon Road and it cuts 12 miles off the drive to Crater Lake.

Primitive Camping no water but clean toliets. $10 fee.

Funny echo effect of nearby cattle. All the Campgroungs were closed at Crater Lake and this was a fine place to stay.

There were a few other campers on Friday night but noone when we returned on Sunday.

It was just what we were looking for.

Thanks for the help.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Sounds good. Were the sites set up for RV's, car camping, or tent? Tables? fire-pits?

frank martin
    BPL Member

@sriprank

There were firepits and tables. Very flat like Southern Oregon.

No RV hookups.

The sites by the river were chained off to cars. You can park your car outside the chain and just carry your stuff in. Just a 100' or so. Thus way the headwaters are protected.

The other spots you could just drive in.

The Wilderness Permit Ranger at Crater lake didn't open till 9:00 AM. Nothing opened there till 9:00. Maybe that will change when the Campgrounds open. I think the General Store and Restaurant at Manzama and the Rim were both open.

We got permits and started hiking the Rim Trail at 10:00 AM Saturday and finished at 6:00 PM Sunday. Snow was consolidated and weather was good. Great trip!!

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

I'll keep that site in mind the next time we do Crater Lake. No RV hookups sounds great.I thought the rim trail at CL was great, especially heading off from the Lodge-it gets good almost immediately. The trip down to Wizard Island isn't bad but coming back up is a real slog sith all those switchbacks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools