Topic

Looking for a 1 night glacier trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Looking for a 1 night glacier trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Williams

@clwilla

Locale: The Bluegrass

Hey all.

I'm headed to Glacier National Park with the family and am looking for a 1 night quickie.

Perhaps an 8-10 mile in and out or loop of some sort. 4-5 in; camp. Haul out next morning to be gathered by the wife.

It'll be just me so some company would be great too.

I've never been hiking in that part of the country so I have no idea where to start. Something near fishable water would be a plus though not necessary. I use a hammock, so trees at the camp site are a must.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

What side of the park are you interested in, the east, or the west? It takes a few hours to drive through the park, so the trip would be based upon where your family will be while you are hiking. For example, if they will be in Kalispell while you hike, you won't want her to have to drive all the way to the east side of GNP to pick you up. But keep in mind that they have a wonderful shuttle bus service that can take some of the nightmare out of intra-park transportation.

Torsten Johnson

@torstyguy

I'm also headed to Glacier in the next few days and would love some company. I'm game for anything, though I'll probably end up spending more than one night out. I'd love some company, though. I have some ideas for routes, and I'm sure we could put something together looking at the map for a few minutes. I'm also interested in fishing, so we could do a little of that, too. Let me know what dates you're looking at and maybe we can work something out.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Probably lots of snow still in the park right now.

As for doing an overnighter close to the road later in summer, you'll have to take what sites are available. Word on the street in the park's centenury brought backcountry reservations out of the woodwork. The park's backcountry desk website has a chart of sites that are reserved in the next few nights that is updated daily.

If you could do more like a 20 mile loop, going out to Fifty Mountain on the Highline Trail and back the low route would be my recommendation. Fifty is an excellent, excellent camp site.

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

Gunsight Lake ~ Florence Falls from the Going to the Sun Road.

Spectacular.

Christopher Williams

@clwilla

I'll be in GNP from July 3-10. I'm not sure which day I'll be hiking yet. Get back to me.

Christopher Williams

@clwilla

I'll be on the west side if the park. Fam is staying in West Glacier. Thanks for the tip.

Christopher Williams

@clwilla

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Gunsight Lake"

An enthusiastic, nostalgic +1. Gunsight Lake was my first backpacking trip ever. It is beautiful.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Gunsight Lake is very pretty although the trailhead (Jackson Glacier Overlook) is a bit of a ways from West Glacier where you'll be starting out of.

If you're into starting off someplace closer consider hiking to the campsites at either Arrow Lake or Camas Lake. The trail starts out with a pretty big climb up and over Howe Ridge but you are rewarded with great scenery.

Keep in mind whatever trip you choose that the snow line in Glacier at this time of year is probably around 7,000 to 7,500 feet.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

A week ago the last mile of the trail from The Loop up to Granite Park chalet was solidly snowed in. Walkable without snowshoes, but there was a good 8' or more in the dense trees.

Christopher Williams

@clwilla

Thanks for the snow warning. I'm a south-easterner and snow this time of year is non-existent. Thanks. Will definitely plan to stay below 7,000.

Christopher Williams

@clwilla

What kinds of overnight lows might I be looking at during the first week of July at gunsight pass? I'm wondering what night time gear I might need as far as quilts and jackets are concerned.

Thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools