Topic

Edible Gear!!! Does it really work?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Edible Gear!!! Does it really work?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

I was just browsing the internet and stumbled on this website for edible gear. Yes, edible Tarps, Backpacks, sleeping bags etc.

The company that is selling them reckons you just tear a chunk of your backpack off and eat it as you go. The same for your sleeping bag or pad etc.

I’m not convinced there is a market for this stuff. The idea of eating a sleeping bag i’ve just spent the night sleeping in doesn’t really appeal. Has anyone out there has any use with this stype of stuff?

http://www.ediblegear.com/index.html

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You realize that ediblegear.com is a joke website, right? They first put it up April 1 a few years ago.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Mark,

Well thank goodness for that information. Can’t say I spent much time looking at the site. I just followed a link from another outdoor magazine type website. I did kind of look at it in disbelief hence why I didn’t think there was much of a market for it. Guess, it suckered me though even though April has long gone!!!!!!

Sanity has been restored in the lightweight backpacking world. At least, I wonder, Hmm now if got some of that sheet lasagne……

Thanks for the heads up.

Scott

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

They say that the truth is stranger than fiction…

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/eating-edible-plastic-181272.php

Doesn’t look like it’s ready for field service just yet!

Brian

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My new book, “Lighthouses of the PCT” will be out next Fall. It chronicles the lighthouses built by the Mountaineers so that hikers could find their way on the PCT in the days before we had GPS units. On foggy, rainy days you could hear the fog horns of the PCT lighthouses, made to simulate the mating call of the Roosevelt elk. I miss those sounds terribly.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

To quote my friend Dale, “Hehehe”.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

After thinking about it, there are many chronicles of people boiling their shoes and other leather items and eating them, from Valley Forge to wagon trains and explorers. Maybe we’ve gone astray with our materials.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Well my other half and her friends were waving a pair of candy panties at me the other day in a shopping mall,… cough, splutter, erh hem, Not quite sure they would work on the trail though.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

That is an indoor sports item and not covered here ;)

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

from the site…

Question: Aren’t animals attracted to equipment made of out food?

Answer: No. Animals aren’t stupid. Animals don’t consider Edible Gear food. You on the other hand, are clearly smart enough to understand that weight saving takes precedence over everything. As you’re choking down your sleeping pad just think to yourself how easy it’ll be to heft that pack tomorrow morning with two ounces less weight.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Oh… and you get this of you try to “order”…

Sorry. Due to unusually heavy server activity we are temporarily unable to process your order.

Options. You can either:

– Save your order form and try again later;

– Print your order form, tape it the back of a mental patient and hope that he/she wanders near our offices; or

– Go away angry and frustrated.

scott morrow

@lscottol

I so thought it was real

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

i saw this a while back and was sooo confused, like wtf is this edible gear!
    glad to know its a joak but kinda a interesting idea…

vivek chittineni

@vivek16

Well, what if you made frame stays out of some sort of pasta or other dense, slightly flexible food? As your pack weight got lower, you could potentially eat them without affecting your comfort. Lol.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

There are some great lines in there…

"And don't think we've forgotten you vegans: we now offer a fully organic, vegetarian product formed from Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP*).

*TVP is a registered trademark of the Archer Daniels Midland Company"

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

I was immediately blown away by the precision of the catenary cuts on that tarp ;)! But the weight alone was the determining factor in this equation!

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

The one piece of gear I own that is slowly being eaten away is my wallet.

Michael

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ive done edible pack frame before

vacuum pack some beef jerky … and use those as a "frame" .. eat as you go … by the end of the trip itll be all gone, but yr pack will be light anyways

pretty tasty

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

hope that it does not rain on you.
    Yerky stains are hard to wash.
    Franco

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools