Topic

TRT No. 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey everyone,
    I'll be heading up to try again for the Tahoe Rim Trail Record going Unsupported on Jul 8th.

There will be 4 of us starting at the same time.

I hope it's not 93 degrees with a million mosquitos like it was lat year. I'll be bring much less gear this year as well.
    Wind pants, wind shirt, down vest, extra socks, 5 pounds of food, deet and sunblock, mp3, water bladder, map, batteries, gps, and the pack. Oh and some microspickes for all that snow up there.

Need to be able to run if I'm going to keep up with the big dogs.
    Looking at somewhere in the 50-60 hour finish for the times.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Aaron,
    I'm going back at the end of July / first of August to redo the TRT with a repeat goal of 4 days (96 hours) or better. Your goals put me in the "old dogs" category.

Here's hoping you have a great time and meet or exceed your goals. I will look forward to reading how you do.

Will you be posting a complete gear list (I do not see mention of a headlamp)? What shoes do you plan to use?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I will be up on the trail that weekend with a group. Hope to see you wiz by. Planning a 5 day hike later in July. Are you concerned with the snowpack slowing you down this early?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

There is no record right now, so we, (whoever gets it) will just have it until one of us come back next year.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Aaron,

I followed your trip last year, and was wondering why you are attempting it so early given how heavy the snowfall is this year. Didn't you run into problems running on snow last year? I think it's gonna be much, much worse this year…just a thought and good luck!

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Hey Nate,
    Even with the snow level there will only be snow above 9,000' by then.
    There was even snow at that level last year and it probably would have even helped if the snow was solid instead of patchy.

I didn't make the date up but I'll be gone right after for 2 1/2 months so july 8th it is.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

So I decided against the TRT this year.
    snow level too high and I really don't like carring the weight of unsupported attempts.

So, I will be heading for the JMT instead. Yes, for the record. 86 hours and 13 minutes as it stands right now.

The good thing is I will have some good assistance out there and will have about 6-8 pounds on my back and even less at the end with pacers, (or better word for pacer is someone keeping you awake)…
    I'll make a post about soon, but it will be mid Aug.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Aaron
    are you going for JMT supported or unsupported record ?

I would say that pacers = support.

Also, regarding several people starting "together" for an unsupported attempt. This is a pretty iffy area regarding whether this constitutes support or not.
    The moral support provided by competition is definitely a type of support.

Lots of cans of worms for the "Unsupported" Purist.
    . . .

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Support, YES…
    I need to get the weight off my back to move at record speed.

The previous Unsupported record Michael Popov was obtained with both of us starting at the same time. We only saw each other 2 times after the first hour with no support given.
    It just helps knowing that if something does go wrong, we both had a way out so we could help each other as well, if everything went wrong.

Makes it much safer when you are out there pushing the limits knowing that you have more than one, (yourself) way out if the S hits the fan.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

86 hours is about 3.5 days. You'll be doing over 50 miles a day…you so crazy man. Pure awesomeness. Make sure to update us before you take off for 2 1/2 months.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

It sounds like quite a quest. I'll note in passing that this year's Western States 100 winner lopped an astonishing 29 minutes off the old record, so great feats are possible when everything aligns correctly.

I ran into a lot of snow going up Tallac two weekends ago, but the weather has been blazing hot since then so I'll guess most of the unsheltered/shaded trail portions have opened up. Creeks and rivers are very high but I don't know how many, if any technical crossings the TRT has.

Good luck,

Rick

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Moving this post over here:

The JMT is heating up again.
    This year there is no unsupported or supported record.
    The record of 86 was made unsupported, so beating it supported just gets the supported record.

So who is it this year that's heading out to beat the elusive time.
    Well it's the same guys that have been out there doing it all along.
    This year I am going for the Supported Record and Ian Alloway is going to go Unsupported.
    The battle even heats up around the same time as we will both be up there for August's full moon.
    This year I'll have Michael Popov helping me in the pacing. It's about time. I've driven about 1200 miles each year for the support of him over the past two years. He will be pacing me from Mono Lake to Reds Meadow and from Tuolumne to the finish.
    Sarah Spelt from PCTR will be with me the final night from Reds Meadow to Tuolumne.

The gear list this year is as minimal as possible.

Pack: Salomon XT Wings 5 Pro Backpack
    Jacket: The North Face Zephyrus Insulated Pullover
    Vest: Mont Bell Down Inner Half Sleeve Jacket
    Rain/wind shell: North Face Triumph Anorak

Other gearworn or carried ; Rail Riders Long Sleeve Shirt and Pants, a light Nike cap, REI hat, Injungi Socks, Asics 2150 Trail shoes.

2.5 pounds per day of an assortment of
    Hammer Jel Perpetium, Hammer Jel Heed, Amino Vital, Gue and Honey. Maybe a few snack stuff thrown in.

The Rest: MP3 player, Camera/ video, Coast Lensor H7 Headlamp, Time splits/small map, 1aaa extra battery, safety pin and Leuko tape for blisters, and TP.

Thats it. Hoping to keep weight with water under 7 pounds at all times.
    I'll have a person at Taboose Trail Jct to re-supply and a few hours sleep at mile 67 before a 2nd 67 mile day to Edison/ Mono at mile 134.

Hoping to get out of Mono in under 48 hours. Yikes!!!

For now I'm in Louisiana helping with the clean up so its running in 90* weather on sand.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

bump

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Looks like everything below 12,000" is starting to become unglued and becoming patchy.
    Thought was going to be in trouble for a while.
    Now it looks like the mosquitos will be the only problem?

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm#CP_JUMP_115623

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

Hey Aaron, I was up in Tuolumne this past weekend, and the bugs were very bad. But if mosquitos are your only problem… you will be doing great. Good Luck!

Brian Turner

@phreak

Whats the upate on Aaron's JMT attempt in 2010?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools