Topic

Silva Solar Charger help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Silva Solar Charger help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

I would like to get a solar charger. And all reviews point to the SC2-2, which can hold and charge 2 batteries. But should I spring for the higher version that holds 4 batteries?

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to say, I will mostly be charging 2 AA's for my camera, but might be charging 3 AAA's for my headlamp.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I can't help you with the Silva, but a few PCT hikers this year are using the Powerfilm USB/AA solar charger and are very happy with it. I'm very happy with mine, with the exception of not being able to charge my cell phone with it, but I believe that's an issue with the cell phone, not the charger, especially since I can successfully charge my Peek Pronto.

The problem with trying to charge 3 AAA's is that many chargers charge in pairs.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Eugene,
    How much does that one weigh?

Kevin Lutz

@mtntrailrunner

IMO your choice depends entirely on your power needs. If all you want is to charge 2AA's for your camera and 3 AAA's for your light and you're reasonably sure of a steady supply of sunlight, go for the 2AA model. I have a 2AA Canon camera and I would have to take a huge amount of pictures with flash and review to require recharged cells every day. And my 3xAAA light only requires recharging every 3-5 days with moderate use. But as always YMMY.

But if you're not counting ounces or pennies and/or you plan to consume more power in the future, go with the 4AA. And if your source of sunlight is questionable, the 4AA gathers photons twice as fast which could be a huge advantage on cloudy days, deep canyons or shaded forests.

I've been toying with solar charging for several years and honestly, unless you're going to be out there for a long time, simply carrying extra cells (especially lithium AA's and AAA's)is simpler, lighter, more dependable and certainly cheaper than a charger.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Eugene,
    How much does that one weigh?

I don't remember where, but I found a place that says it weighs 4.9 ounces. I don't have a scale accurate enough to confirm this.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Hey guys. Eugene is correct about the weight. Here's a description I got off the Hodge's Marine website. Notice the charging time. Some of the others I looked at give charging times of between 10 and 14 hours.

USB + AA Charger

Ultra compact, ultra lightweight and yet very durable, the PowerFlim? USB + AA Solar Charger is ideal for everyday use. The USB + AA Solar Charger charges most small USB devices.

Proprietary charging circuitry maximizes charge into the batteries. It provides full charge in four hours of full sun, and with a charging light on the side of the enclosure, indicates charging status.

Six grommets are built into the charger to allow for secure fastening to a pack or to the ground. Direct integration of the PowerFilm flexible solar panels onto the fabric allows for easy storage into a pocket.

Operating Voltage: 3.6
    Operatign Current: 0.4
    Weight (Ounces): 4.9 (Without batteries)
    Folded Dimensions: 3.25 x 5.5 x 1.38
    Unfolded Dimensions: 24 x 5.5

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools