Topic

Spinnaker Cloth for Hammocks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Spinnaker Cloth for Hammocks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I remember reading on a sailing fabric site about quite a few spinnaker cloth samples being air permeable, unlike the waterproof qualities of the material used in the Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter and SpinnTarp. I was going for my run yesterday, and thinking about what kinds of very light fabric I might use to make a hammock, and I wondered about using air permeable spinnaker or even, if it is available, air permeable cuben. Would any one have any idea or experience using these materials this way?

I was thinking of just using a single layer of 1.1 nylon (until now I’ve always used either 1.9 or two layers of 1.1) for a new hammock, but just don’t trust the strength of the material, unless I can find the heavy duty rpistop reinforced material that Hennessy Hammock is using in their new Hyperlight A-Sym Hammock. If anyone has any idea about a source for this, I’d love to know.

Thanks.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Miguel, i’ve heard the same thing about spinnaker cloth being air permeable. this confuses me, however. I know nothing about racing sail boats or any time. I sailed a few times decades ago, but there was no spinnaker. So…

make believe with me, here i am, racing in my yacht, and i deploy the spinnaker hoping to catch as much wind as possible. Why do i want to use cloth that lets some of the air through? Would i sail faster if the sail didn’t let any of the air through? So i must wonder is spinnaker cloth air permeable? Does it really need to let a small amount of air through? I don’t know. Maybe it does? Maybe there’s some aero-reason for it? It reduces vortices spilling off of the edges of the sail? Don’t know.

Does anyone have an authoritative opinion on this issue?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools