Topic

Denali Alaska June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Denali Alaska June

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

I am going to Denali National Park in June. I have a few items I'd like to list and get your feedback with. I know it can rain and be humid there a lot.

mountain hardwear phantom 32 down bag
    tarptent moment
    golite pinnacle pack
    OR pack liner
    EMS gortex paclite jacket
    arcteryx paclite pants
    montbell thermawrap jacket
    smartwool socks
    Asolo gortex boots
    Trangia Alcohol stove with windscreen
    Neoair short sleeping pad
    Titanium Goat AGP trekking poles
    capilene 1 long sleeve shirt and pants

I have multiple stoves. Are alcohol stoves good in humid/rainy climates?

I guess as long as I keep my down bag dry it should be ok…If needed I have a 6 oz. pertex bivy?

Gaitors or not since I have rain pants?

Thats not everything but the main things i'm bringing. Any other suggestions would be helpful!

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

I've worked in Denali as a guide for the last two summers and spent nearly every weekend backpacking.

Alcohol stoves work just fine—that's what I've used.

I've also used a down bag, which has worked fine for me. You can get stuck in days of 50F temps and rain, in which case nothing that gets wet will dry, so take care to keep things that have to be dry dry and make peace with the fact that when you're hiking, you'll be wet.

Of course, you can also hit long stretches of clear, sunny, dry weather, too.

I've never used gaiters in the summer up there, but I don't wear waterproof shoes, so I just give in to being wet from the knees down most of the time. If you've got the waterproof shoes and want to keep them from getting soaked from the dew that'll inevitably stream down your legs as you walk through willows, alders, dwarf birch, etc., gaiters might work, although I think rain pants (which you should definitely carry) would do just as well.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

One ranger said, "When you start hiking in the tundra, find the first puddle and jump in, because your feet are going to get wet anyway."

–B.G.–

Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

Thanks a lot guys. Ah, I hate having wet feet lol

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools