Topic

Sublite vs. Sublite Sil

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sublite vs. Sublite Sil

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Just a question, out of curiosity.

what is the major difference between them? i.e. advantages of tyvek vs. sil, disadvantages, etc…

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

Tyvek is lighter, breathable, and less waterproof, i.e. not suitable for continuous rain.

Sil weighs more, not breathable, but will keep the rain out in a sustained storm.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

Would adding Nikwax waterproofing spray add substantial weight to the Sublite if you wanted a bit more rain protection? I've never used Nikwax, I don't know how effective it is…

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

You could use a peice of scrap tyvek and weigh it, then pray it with Nikwax and then reweigh it to find out the dif.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I believe the Sil version gets alot more CONDENSATION vs. Tyvek. I also believe the Sil version would last much longer then the Tyvek. I have used my Sublite Sil on quite a few hikes this year and I am very happy with the Sublite Sil!

Sublite Sil with MLD Dog Tarp..The tarp really helps because the Sublite really does not have a real vestibule.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Jay,
    Nice taut pitch on the tarp. Do you have to turn around three times before crawling into the Sublite?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Same name,same shape different market.
    As pointed out above the Tyvek version was designed for dry areas or where condensation can be a big problem but not subjected to heavy rain falls.
    Great if you like a rest in the afternoon sun.
    The current version of the Sublite Sil has a vestibule, just not as large as Jay's …
    I know that Ray Estrella was out testing the wind performance of the Sil version.
    That is dedication to the cause.
    Franco

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

"The current version of the Sublite Sil has a vestibule, just not as large as Jay's …"

Heh Heh! Does the Sil come with a doorbell?

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Ray Estrella, Carol Crooker, and Pam Wyant will be testing the Sublite Sil for BackpackGearTest.org – check there over the next four months for results in three different regions.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools