Topic

OR DryComp Ridge Sack WP Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) OR DryComp Ridge Sack WP Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was in the OR factory store this weekend and saw the DryComp Ridge Sack, which is a 16.4oz/465g, 34 liter roll-top waterproof backpack.

Looks like it has great potential for rainy season day hikes, water travel, UL overnights, etc.

It could be trimmed a bit, as it has ice axe loops and a full set of compression straps. It has a large mesh pocket on the back that could hold a water bladder– too bad it doesn't have water bottle pockets.

List price seems a little spendy at $119, but I see that at least one on-line retailer has it at $85.

Has anyone tried one with a 20 pound load?

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/drycomp_ridge_sack.html

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Already reviewed here at BPL . Plug it into search.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

You are right. I was reading so many reviews of these packs yesterday that i mixed them all up. I ordered the Dry Peak Bagger yesterday on sale at Campmor and had read the reviews of the Vertex, etc. I ran into this very limited review on another site http://www.backcountry.com/store/review/200057573/Stays-dry-in-whitewater
    I think the issues will be longevity of the materials. For me it was gaining a waterproof stuff sack that i could use for day hiking at a low price point .

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

The Ridge sack is new this year and I've not seen any reviews yet. BGT will be testing them and I'd expect initial reviews to be posted soon, presuming it's shipped by now.

I have a Summit Sack that's proved waterproof, with the exception of some water wicking into the rolltop via the webbing straps. I've been meaning to work some seam sealant into the webbing to halt this moisture path. Other than that it's a sturdy, if formless day pack that I've toted as much as fifteen or so pounds in. It's comfortable to about ten, as all the load is all on the shoulders and there's no back support. It's also sweaty in warm weather.

It's possible the Ridge's lateral compression straps give it more form and support. What's not different is the load is still all borne by the shoulders. I wouldn't be happy toting twenty pounds in a pure rucksack.

Cheers,

Rick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools