Topic

Vacuum packing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

I wasn’t able to come up with a relevant thread by searching. Has there been a discussion of vacuum-sealing here?

Specifically I’m wondering if there are known good (/bad) machines or bags to use. Has anyone found a combo that allows them to just cut open a pack, add boiling water, and replace in a cozy? (Safely — i.e. no toxic outgassing from the plastic…)

Any experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Brian

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I’m also curious about products anyone has used, I used to climb with a guy who vacuum bagged a pair of gloves,socks, and a down sweater but never asked how he did it…

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I have a Food saver vacuum packing machine.
    I have actually had it about as long as I have been backpacking.

The bags are tough. I have prepared food a couple ways with them. one is to pour boiling water into the bag with noodles or dehydrated food, to rehydrate.
    the other which I do rarely while backpacking, because it is for solid, non dehydrated, heavy food. but it works for car camping quite well, is to put the bag still closed into a pot of boiling water, this will cook steak, turkey, mashed potatoes, corn. So these bags can either cook, or rehydrate food.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Brian, read this thread:

http://forums.backpacker.com/thread.jspa?threadID=84880&tstart=25

What he found is really neat, and you can basically make your own bags at home, that reseal :-)

Sarah

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I also meant to add that Food Vac bags are food grade, and are designed to hold boiling water, and to also be put in boiling water.
    The above link I posted, the bags used in it are of food grade also.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Thanks so much Sarah; that’s exactly what I was looking for. I can’t wait to try one of these units out!

Brian

Dylan Skola
    BPL Member

@phageghost

Locale: Southern California

Note that Ryan Jordan is using vacuum packing for all his food (42 pounds of it) on the Arctic 1000.

He’d better not lose that pocket knife!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools