Topic

Trekking poles-who uses them?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trekking poles-who uses them?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I used trekking poles the first time last year on a climbing trip to the Cirque of the Towers in Wyoming. Wow, what a difference! I felt considerably less worn out than the good old days sans poles. I now have the Ti Goat adjustable poles and quite like them. I am fairly young and in good physical condition so I don't REALLY need them, but I might as well try to keep it that way, right? No need in beating up my joints unnecessarily if I have the option not to.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Of course I use them plenty on ski ascents, and when skinning up gets steep and maneuvering gets dicey, they are great to have.

I can't do hiking poles though for backpacking
    – noise
    – don't like having stuff in my hands
    – gear clutter
    – extra weight
    – awkward when I need to use my hands (scrambling over/under rocks and trees)

I wouldn't mind having one for some stream crossings, but I can usually find a stick for the job. The dual use for a shelter is great, but given the down sides, I'd end up simply hauling them until I get to camp. On steep snow they would be nice.

I'm surprised there aren't more taking the position of less gear and less weight as a solution to leg fatigue on this forum. I'm still not in the UL category at all, so I'm working on cutting back before adding gear.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

My poles are part of the lightweight solution, for me.

I have the gossamer gear LT4s (short) at ~3.5oz each. I use them almost all the time while hiking, although occassionally I do need to carry them (usually if I'm actually clambering up something, or more likely clambering DOWN something very steep). During those times I will hold both poles in one hand, and sometimes switch hands in mid-climb – given that they are so light, this is not an issue.

Poles are also one of the most multi-use items in my gear -hiking, stream crossings, tarp poles, stabilizing my camera, waving at stray dogs, even picking up dirty trash (last trip included picking up & packing out a soiled pair of underwear, a dirty broken berkenstock, a rusty food can, and several clumps of used TP from the AT in Massachusetts, yuck).

Finally, I find myself 1) being less tired at the end of the day and 2) being able to move faster with the poles than without. For me, this more than makes up for the 7oz of weight… they are not an additional or luxury item, they are simply part of my "hiking system".

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have been a "user" since 1984 due to knee problems that ultimately ended my CDT hike. Back then I was using some downhill ski poles with the big plastic breakaway grips. I got a lot of comments and funny remarks, but they were a life saver. My hiker partner finally relented about 3 years ago and now wishes he had stared using them when we first began hiking together some 17 years ago.

At this point it just doesn't feel right to not have them and I particularly love them for water crossings. My knees don't bother me now that I have brought my base weight down to 9-12lbs and fully loaded for a week at 20-22lbs. I can't believe how many miles I carried a 50-75lb pack……

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

I couldn't hike without them. My knees have been getting steadily worse and my lower back is "touchy". But with a pair o poles i can hike like the wind past the scouts in my Troop, and going down hill is no longer a chore, especially ion rocky Jeep trails.

David Ure

@familyguy

I train in the offseason not to use them. In season about 50% of the time. If find on non-groomed trails they are useless and more of a hinderance.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I always use two.
    I have bad hips, so it allows me to to go much further with less pain. My wife uses two to relieve foot pain.

Other reasons:
    1) Stability over loose ground. Less chance of falling if you have four points of contact.
    2) Shelter poles.
    3) Place to hang gear to dry or air out when you take breaks.
    4) Can help you hike in the case of injuries on the trail. They can take the place of an injured foot, ankle, leg,…
    Two good arms, one good leg and you can make it to a camp site.
    5) Makes river crossings easier.
    6) Move snakes off the trail.
    7) Keep dogs and people at a good distance.
    8) Brush spider webs out of your face.
    9) A stand for cameras.
    10) Hang a clothes line between two trekking poles.
    11) Helps almost anyone doing long uphill climbs.
    12) Adds a lot of stability on downhills when you have a heavy pack full of extra water and/or food.
    13) Emergency splint
    14) Most find they can walk faster, with a longer stride with trekking poles.
    15) …

Studies have shown that hiking with trekking poles is slightly less efficient, requiring more calorie consumption. Because of this, you may have to carry more food.
    This is a solid reason for young, fit, people with no physical restrictions, to not use them.
    For those of us us that suffer handicaps, they are a plus.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools