Topic

Trekking poles-who uses them?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trekking poles-who uses them?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ed Neudorf

@xxclaro

I have never used treking poles before,in fact I've never met anyone using them either. However, I know they are pretty popular so there must be a reason. Also,I see lots of people us them for tarp tent,which looks useful.
    I'm just not sure I need them.What is the benefit of them? Do you use one or two?
    I am not an ultralight backpacker, but I would like to pare down the weight of my packs as much as possible. Is it worth the extra weight/bulk to have these poles? I see some are rediculously expensive,but some are cheap enough I might give them a try if they are actually useful.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I've used trekking poles for 6 years now and wonder how I ever got along without them. I even use them for exercise walking around home (nordic walking), where they turn walking into a whole-body exercise that works the core muscles as well as arms and legs. I find they considerably aid balance, especially over rough places, and they've saved me from some potentially serious falls. They also really aid my knees (one of which had serious surgery about 22 years ago), especially on the downhills. They are also very useful for fording streams. Before I went to the poles, I used a single walking stick to support my bum knee. Once I went to the two poles, I never looked back!

I've never had any comments (even from the neighborhood) about "where are your skis?" Most hikers I've met here in the Pacific NW and in the Rockies use them. Every year I see more and more trekking pole users.

They are not essential for tents because you can get lightweight poles for any of the tents that use trekking poles. In other words, don't get trekking poles only because you want a tent that uses them! Get trekking poles only if they aid your hiking!

I suggest you look for a pair of secondhand cheap ski poles (you want them a little shorter than ski poles would be, since you won't be using them in snow) to try out before you consider buying a pair of real trekking poles. Or even grab a couple of sticks. You may decide they're not for you. Poles aren't for everyone! Like me, you may find them more useful as you get older.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm is an excellent site for learning how to use your poles properly.

Jason Knecht

@distortedaxis

Locale: Earth

I've been using trekking poles for about 4-5 years now. I to don't know how I got around without them. They make everything easier.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

When you're ascending with a loaded pack, it's night and day to me. And yes, great for tricky spots when an extra leg is helpful.

Randall Spratt

@genreviam

Locale: Minnesota

Used them for the first time last year. I'll never hike again on any trail that has significant elevation changes without them. Uphill they allow a partial shift of the load to your upper body, and allow me to walk in a more upright position, which saves my lower back. Downhill they provide stability and control. I have a bad knee and using poles allowed me to traverse the downhill sections without having to laterally twist my knee. I'm a convert! And yes, I also used them in my Tarptent Contrail, but that was just a bonus!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I like them. Better for the knees and ankles, rock-hopping stream and mud hole crossings with dry feet, power assist on high steps up roots and rock ladders and gentle descents on the same. Good for pushing aside wet brush, nettles and stickers too.

I was using one staff-style pole this Spring, letting my wife use my regular pair and the staff has a tripod screw to steady my camera. I found some odd aches from using one pole– you are putting unequal stress on shoulder and back. Two poles are much more stable and going up tall steps is better with two. One is better than nothing at all. My wife has some knee issues and has her own pair now. My only complaint is that she goes too fast using the poles :)

I did try some old ski poles from a garage sale for $5 to try the idea out and they worked just fine. There is some advantage to adjustable poles– shorter going up and longer going down and for using inside a tent or tarp designed for them. Fixed poles are light and no hassles with locks. I'm using Black Diamond poles with flick locks and no shock absorbing features. I much prefer flick locks over the twist types.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I started using poles around 10 years ago. I would use two poles. At the time they were a total godsent. I was having serious problems with my knees the the added stability and load shifting were very enabling. They also where useful when pitching my tarptent.

In the last 4 years the combination of lighter pack, strengthening exercises for my knees, and most significant, inov-8 flyroc shoes greatly lessened my need for poles. These days I typically carry 1 pole attached to the outside of my pack. It comes out for river crossings, particularly difficult traverses, and at night when I set up my tarptent. I take 2 poles when I expect especially difficult routes.

–Mark

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Okay, someone from the other side better chime in. I don't use poles. I just don't like to have any extra stuff and particularly don't like to have anything in my hands. I have no problem with my knees, have good balance, no problem with steep up and downhills– and I just don't won't to bother with them. Give me a few years, maybe.

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

Love them…saved my butt multiple times in the Sierra. I tend to get into a rhythm with them. Love to push off up hill and flats and you can really fly downhill with the extra balance and confidence of rugged descents.

Once you've tried them, doubtful you will stop using them. Not to mention they are dual purpose on tarps and shelters.

couch

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

Until recently, my pack was above 30 lbs. I can't imagine carrying such a load without trekking poles (my weight is ~140 lbs).

The best way to understand what they do is to use them and hike with a heavy backpack for even 30 mins – 1 hr. Then put them away and take 2 steps — it'll hit you! To me, it feels like suddenly walking under water. The strain on my legs is so enormous.

Caveat — the poles are useless deadweight unless you know how to use them (i.e really transfer weight to it and take it off your legs). I read somewhere that expert use of the poles (with straps) can take 15 – 20% of your total weight (body + backpack) off your knees. If you can really do that, you are effectively going pack-less (as far as your knees are concerned).

On the other hand, your arm muscles do more work and actually you spend MORE energy when you hike with poles since the arm muscles are not as efficient as your leg muscles per calorie consumed.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Top 10 reasons why I carry trekking poles
    1) Saved me from countless falls.
    2) Stream Crossings
    3) Ascents and Descents in Snow.
    4) Help with Uphill.
    5) Poles for Tarps.
    6) Holds up Bivy when not using tarp.
    7) Reduces blisters.
    8) Speads up downhills
    9) Helps push up food bag when hanging.
    10) Helps me fight off bears.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

I use them, too – love them.

However, in case I am justifying my new ownership (I am a very recent pole convert) let me tell you what I do not like.

I bought my pair here at BPL when they were on super discount. They are a fixed length. If you do buy yours, I think getting a cheap pair is a great way to go. However, getting an adjustable pair is outstanding for compact travel, and pitching tarps – if this is something you are likely to do much of, spend enough to get a pair like that. I am happy with mine own, but do consider getting an adjustable pair as well, and I am not much of a fan of having a "large kit."

I practiced with mine for some time walking around the college grounds, too. It helped my form.

Good luck!

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I will never go back to the days without poles. They are a great multifunction tool, between helping up and down tricky ascents/descents, acting as a tent pole, and of course, assisting with difficult water crossings. I have to agree with Mary, the vast majority of hikers you meet in the Pacific Northwest use them.

All that said, some people prefer to go without. Scott Williamson, the current PCT record holder and über-thruhiker, doesn't use trekking poles, as he said he couldn't ever get into a comfortable rhythm.

So I think borrowing a pair and seeing if they are to your liking is the best bet. A good pair will last a long time, and have replaceable tips.

Dirk

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I like a single pole. I've been using walking sticks since the Olden Days – like the early 70's. Staarted with old golf club shafts, then switched to 1$ thrift store ski poles, and now I have GG Lightrek 4's – which I use one at a time. I've tried two poles, but I only like two for steep ascents, so I find I'm happier with one. If you want to try the idea out, get some old ski poles cheap at a thrift store and give it a whirl.

Marc Penansky
    BPL Member

@marcpen

Locale: Western NC

I also use trekking/hiking poles and wouldn't go out hiking without them. I have often wondered what the percentage of hikers who use 2 hiking poles is? Based on this small (and non-statistically significant) sampling of responders, I think you would put it at 80 – 90%. Do you think that is at all representative?

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

One thing I want to add.

I know a lot of UL guys don't like the straps.

Something worth mentioning is, there is a right way of using them and if you use them correctly, they make using them much more beneficial(just like they tell you how to use ski poles).

Up through the hoop from the bottom then close your palm over the strap and the grip. This transfers the weight to the whole bottom of your first, you don't even need to firmly grip the pool which is a waste of energy.

FYI: I use one pole, two seems too busy. If doing an intense ascend I'll use two.

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

They seemed like a good idea, especially considering the amount of knee problems I have had in the past. But I hated them, clank-clank-clank-clank. I felt like some sort of low budget mechanical man. My nice natural free walking style was completely disrupted. You have to force yourself to conform to a walking style that is unnatural, at least for me. For me it ended being a situation where the tail was wagging the dog. And that noise, that tannoying, disturbing clank-clank. One of the things I love about walking is absorbing the ambient sounds. Try doing that while having to hear the steady clanking of metal tips on granite.

I did try one pole to use for support. That was better, but on my last trip I forgot to unstrap the pole from my pack and ended up carrying it the whole day without realizing it. That pretty much sums up the value I have found in hiking poles.

Not for me. Others obviously had much more positive experiences.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

About 25 years ago I went to Europe after College and saw hiking poles all over the Swiss Alps. I'd never seen them before. The locals loved them. I used my ski poles when I got home and have never stopped. They've caught me from twisting my ankle, saved my back, and aided my knees when going down a steep travers.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

I can't imagine how I would be able to get good use out of poles without the straps. With straps, you only lightly grip the handle and use the straps to transfer your weight to the poles.

Using your grip to transfer 10 – 15% of your weight + backpack weight sounds painful!

On the other hand, having your hands in the straps in a rocky spot with a high likelihood of a fall is a bad idea.. your hand might stay stuck in the pole while you fall and dislocate your shoulder.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

use mine all the time. Helps with ascents and climbs. Placing your pole in front of you when you are navigating those big granite steps in the Sierra's really help with balance. Plus they keep my tent up

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Locale: IOWA

Yea, I bought some lekis' this year and I can't believe I havent used or owned treking poles until now. They really help with hiking heavy loads and can be used with shelters.lekilekitrek pole with go lite ponchotrek pole with go lite ponchotrek pole with go lite ponchotrek pole with go lite poncho

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

I have a weimaraner who is four years old. When I use my trekking poles, she makes fun of me less for being a weakling biped.

My arm muscles heal faster than my leg muscles. In that regard, wearing out my arms using trekking poles makes sense when its eventually going to be my legs that have to walk me back to the truck.

As far as not using them, I found, for the first time in years, that they were a burden on a short trip except for the 15 water crossings and the constantly wet novaculite that tried to put you on your butt. When trying to rationalize not using them, I think about how I do not have to use a hammer to smash nails into lumber, but it sure is better than a drill or a rock. Needless to say, the poles always come with me. All things take practice ~ eventually I quit smashing my thumbs with hammers.

Also, Geoff, the four foot black snake, is not very intimidated by me and will not budge because he thinks he is camouflaged. The trekking poles will safely get him out of my way without having to look for a tick infest, snake riddled, spider hopping branch or three.

Jack

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I know that I don't need, or want two poles. I find a single pole to be a bit of a luxury, but useful.

So I want to carry a single pole I need to get the weight down. My current pole is the surviving member of what was then a very light weight pair of Kommperdals (sp?). It weighs 8 oz.

What I would like is a single pole minimum length 125cm. Very light. It doesn't have to be adjustable but it would be nice if it could be broken down for carrying. I would rig up some sort of camera mount on the handle, but I'm pretty handy so I think I could adapt any pole for this. Don't need to support a tarp or a tent, don't need a strap.

Any suggestions for one that would fit this description? It would be nice if I could buy just one. Or anyone want interested in splitting a pair?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

When I was looking for a single pole I came across some that were distributed through the photography world that were cheap….I ordered a Brunton at that time for $36, but the vendor (a large photo outfit in Chicago, I think) was out of stock, so I ended up with a Komberdell staff instead.

You might try that angle.

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

I'll never hike without. I did get rid of the straps though. Not to save weight, but I don't thing you need them. Like when you go up stairs, you use your arms and hands, but you have to grip the handrail tight. But like everything it feels weird at first. Don't tell me that I'm the only one here that uses them to dry clothes over the fire?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools