Topic

Coating Ripstop Nylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Coating Ripstop Nylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Josh Platt
    BPL Member

@easternbox

Locale: Southeast

I have acquired some ripstop nylon from a family member. Total surprise that was free, so I decided I would try and make a simple tarp out of it. However, I am completely new to making my own gear. I have sewn before but have no idea what to use as the silicon coating for the tarp. So I am asking for suggestions on what to use.

Thanks and any help is appreciated.

Josh Platt
    BPL Member

@easternbox

Locale: Southeast

Thanks for the input. I will probably order some silnylon in the future, but since I got this ripstop for free, then I may as well make a few stuff sacks and try to coat some. Will probably lead to me becoming insanely frustrated but we will see how it goes.

thanks again!

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

If it works out for you, please share your experiences here. I'd love to hear about it.

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Locale: IOWA

I have watched Patrick of Kifaru show how to treat silnylon on the seams and this is also how guys treat regular ripstop from what my research shows. He takes silicone, puts it in a container, and adds mineral spirits. He stirs it up until it turns into a "slurry" as he refers to it. Just a real liquid like substance, but not real runny. He then paints it on with a paint brush. Do this while the fabric is taunt and let dry.

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Locale: IOWA

YouTube video

Luke Houseman

@prblysolid

Don't know how well this would work, because my suggestion is based solely own my own judgement but I have silicone spray lubricant somewhere is my basement. Couldn't you simply use pure silicone in spray form (similar to WD40) to coat your ripstop more evenly than a brushed application?

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> Couldn't you simply use pure silicone in spray form (similar to WD40) to coat your ripstop more evenly than a brushed application?

Well, the problem with that is that they are two entirely different silicone polymers.

The lubricant is in liquid form, and remains that way, so is likely to leave a silicone oil stain on anything it touches.

The silicone sealant is a different silicone polymer, probably a much longer, or chained molecule, that forms a 'dry' gel when it's set.

Silicon has a similar chemistry to carbon, so forms many complex hydro-silicon (aka silicone) molecules, rather like the hydrocarbon 'organic' chemistry. It's nowhere near as diverse in its range of chemistry as carbon, though.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The suggested silicone spray is this type :
    silicone spray

"ideal" (according to the label) for nylon,polyester cotton and leather.
    (not a lubricant…)
    Franco

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Silicon spray goes on very easily.
    Pity it rubs off just as easily …

Cheers

SPAM

@tianyaguke

If you're really keen on coating the material yourself, I'll direct you to the DIY section of the hammockforum(google it).

Chen
    You are welcome to participate here, but I am concerned about the advertisements you are putting into your posts. They are not in keeping with the ethics of the Forum, and if you continue sneaking them in I may have to ban you. If you wish to discuss this privately with me, my email address is below.

Second Edit: following further spamming, Chen has been banned.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online community Monitor
    Backpacking Light
    [email protected]

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Tried the silicone/mineral spirit trick. As a repellent it is the cat's meow. Unfortunately the only weight lost is the mineral spirit. Silicone is heavy. Make sure it is spotlessly clean or the sil will peel. Buy some good spray and treat it regularly (IMHO)
    BJ

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Bravo, Franco! The nano-spray at last!
    Sam

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools