Topic

parachute fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear parachute fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

what exactly is parachute fabric?

Keegan Wagner

@keegan

I understand that Sil-nylon was first used as parachute fabric, but they might not use it today. If you're referring to a "parachute" hammock then It's probably just a nylon or rip-stop nylon.

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

so if parachute fabric is just another kind of nylon, then what are the differences between them? I mean, there are
    parachute nylon
    taffeta nylon
    oxford nylon

does anyone know about their differing properties?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> parachute nylon
    This describes the application, not the fabric.

> taffeta nylon
    > oxford nylon
    Subtle differences in the weaving process, often used to fool the consumer in marketing literature. The terms can be misapplied too.

A genuine plain weave is usually finer than a taffeta, which is often (as far as I can tell) done with an air-jet loom. A plain weave is often slightly dearer. Oxford usually applies to heavier fabrics.

Cheers

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Locale: IOWA

I have a military parachute that I am making a huge tipi out of,and it appears to be ripstop nylon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools